free website stats program Mileage question | Harley Davidson Forums

Mileage question

Ike 1

I know there are a lot of factors to consider, but over all how many miles can one expect from an air cooled engine if its well maintained. or is there any difference in the life of an air cooled engine vs liquid cooled.

I was just wondering because I see a lot of bikes that are only a few years old with 30-40k mis. and am wondering if thats excessive.

Thanks.

Ike 1; with proper care & maint. m/c motors can last as long as cars. Of course, older bikes don't have some of the newer conveniences (EFI, electronics, controls, etc.), but you'll see older bikes w/high mileage too...all depends on how you treat it.

My buddy has a 2005 with 100000 miles on it. We replaced the drive belt last week. He has the extended warranty. The motor was apart last year for an oil leak in the case and they put a new clucth in it this spring. Aside from cam tensioners that has been the extent of his troulbes. He uses Amsoil in all three holes. I have 70000 miles on mine. At 32000 I did the hyd tensioner, roller chain cam swap. I use Mobil 1 Vtwin. Both bikes are running strong. They both have their knocks and rattles but neither one uses any oil between 5000 mile oil changes.
kemo

The only difficulty with any engine is the lack of maintenance. Same with the Harley's. So bottom line you can not cheat or be cheap when maintenance is due. As to longevity there a lot of great examples of the members here who ride their bikes more than most drive cars on a yearly basis and experience no difficulties.

but over all how many miles can one expect from an air cooled engine if its well maintained. or is there any difference in the life of an air cooled engine vs liquid cooled.

Thanks.

Your asking a loaded question..."Can one expect" before WHAT?

Before going into the engine for a repair or being totally worn out? I would never expect one of these engines delivering the care free service an everyday cheap imported car engine would give me. I also feel an air cooled engine COULD be made to last as long as a water cooled engine, but in its native state, one of these engines is not the one I would be sending "into the ring" for that contest.

Don't get me wrong. I love my HD engine but I also don't expect them to parallel the perform of any cage engine.

Your asking a loaded question..."Can one expect" before WHAT?

Before going into the engine for a repair or being totally worn out? I would never expect one of these engines delivering the care free service an everyday cheap imported car engine would give me. I also feel an air cooled engine COULD be made to last as long as a water cooled engine, but in its native state, one of these engines is not the one I would be sending "into the ring" for that contest.

Don't get me wrong. I love my HD engine but I also don't expect them to parallel the perform of any cage engine.

What I meant was could I expect (with proper maintenance) to go 100k mis. I certainly was not asking for a guarantee. so an '07 with 40k mis would not scare anyone off?

Thanks to all for the info.

Ike

You have just added to the plot. How well do you know the owner and bike. Your question is quite reasonable if purchasing new. Buying a used HD with 40k already on it and not knowing how it was maintain or ridden really raises the thought process. So if your saving a ton of money it might be a good idea to put away the difference of what your are paying versus the going price for the same HD with lower miles. Just in case some type of big repair comes up.

Maintainance is the key, I have logged 50k on evos with no problems and traded them in

What I meant was could I expect (with proper maintenance) to go 100k mis.

Just my opinion,, No. Not by what I would consider to be the words "Normal Maintenance". But can you keep one of these engines running for 100,000 miles? Absolutely YES!

Maybe I am expecting too much. The word maintenance to me means changing oil filters, changing oil, changing air filters, lubricating pivot points, tightening fasteners, replacing leaking gaskets, adjusting valves, changing worn hoses or belts etc. That is what I call normal maintenance.

Normal Maintenance is not changing inner cam bearings, chain followers, compensator assemblies, or replacing oil pumps due to out of round crankshafts. To me that is not normal Maintenance.
And I would bet a Large percentage of engines have those types of service records before they reach 100K.

Buying the extended Warranty is really the answer to go 100K miles and not worry about it. :)

I've seen a Panhead the guy bought new in 1966 with 166,000 miles on it and road it to Sturgis from Mass a couple years ago.

Back