free website stats program mid control plug in outer case | Harley Davidson Forums

mid control plug in outer case

The shaft housing has a seal between the two cases, there should be no oil coming out of there. Take it back to them and let them fix it.

just turned 4000 miles.just started leaking. plug is steel push in. if i pull plug out there is no oil leak. just after a ride, and put on side stand.not much just enough to run down cover.

That's just a trim piece, the seal is half way between the inner and outer cases that keeps the oil in.

The seal is a little (about the size of a quarter) foam "gasket". It is sticky on one side to adhere to either the inner or outer primary. My bike started leaking in the same place. When I took the outer primary off (yes, my bike is under extended warranty. However, my fix was less than the $50 deductible), I found this gasket had slipped. The dealer told me this was common after time. I did not replace the gasket. I used a 9/16 X 11 tap to cut threads into both the inner and outer primary. I then threaded a plug into both sides and topped this off with gasket sealant. Total cost for this fix (I had the tap and quart of oil for the primary) was $41.50. And, I will never have to fix it again.

BTW. It took my bike over 34,000 miles before it started leaking.

Back