free website stats program michelin scorcher tires on Streetbob | Harley Davidson Forums

michelin scorcher tires on Streetbob

blueglide

Rode 350 miles yesterday, mostly through heavy rain, route has many bends.
I needed new underpants, the michelins freaked me out-no feedback on grip and sliding at minimal lean angles.
Possibly down to local road conditions (I live and ride in Europe) but has anyone any comments on the scorchers please?.

No I've only ridden on the HD Dunlops, but thanks for posting that up. If you don't mind saying how are you guys doing over there with gas prices ? I know a guy in England and he's paying something like $9 (U.S. dollars) a gallon, I think he said.

No I've only ridden on the HD Dunlops, but thanks for posting that up. If you don't mind saying how are you guys doing over there with gas prices ? I know a guy in England and he's paying something like $9 (U.S. dollars) a gallon, I think he said.

thanks for your response, I guess you may not get too much wet riding in Florida, but I found the HD Dunlops OK for all conditions.
Point to note is that I have a new Streetbob, the tires are scrubbed in as it had 1100 miles done before I hit the rain-but the skinny front tire does not inspire confidence for me personally.
The bike tracks round the bends in the dry though-no problems there.

Re the gas prices-yes its very expensive now including diesel fuel, people in England are cutting down on social journeys and people are car sharing.
Its not stopping me and others riding though.

thanks for your response, I guess you may not get too much wet riding in Florida, but I found the HD Dunlops OK for all conditions.
Point to note is that I have a new Streetbob, the tires are scrubbed in as it had 1100 miles done before I hit the rain-but the skinny front tire does not inspire confidence for me personally.
The bike tracks round the bends in the dry though-no problems there.

Well I do get caught in the rain sometimes, especially on out of town trips. I will lean some on dry (especially when my wife is not on since it sometimes makes her nervous). But I have never done any serious leaning in wet. Just never really felt comfortable with that on any tire. When things get wet they are just too unpredictable. Course I understand some tires grip better than others.

Re the gas prices-yes its very expensive now including diesel fuel, people in England are cutting down on social journeys and people are car sharing.
Its not stopping me and others riding though.

Whoa, sounds almost like serious business. Hope it don't get no worse. I see on the news where the recent US stock market big drop was a direct result of some European nations going bankrupt and disrest in the streets in Greece and Italy. Things a bit volatile now it seems.

Ive worked through just about every tyre manufacturer over the last 25 years on a wide variety of bikes but now I swear by Avons( have Avon Venoms on my 2000 FXDX) they are the only tyre manufactured and tested on UK roads, they typically have up to 3mm more tread depth than other manufacturers which makes a huge difference in torrential downpours at motorway speeds, even last winter with daytime temperatures around -9 Celsius they have never slipped or lost traction on any surface or in any condition unlike Dunlop, Michelin, Metzeler, Bridgestone or Pirellis, they give me 100% confidence at high lean angles and under heavy braking, wet or dry, and typically they are far cheaper than most of the competitors. Its taken 25 years but I can honestly say I have found the best motorcycle tyres ever made. I will never try any other tyres again. Avon have a fan for life.

Wow, missed you on your new members welcome, but Welcome lionscar. I see you just recently joined.

I will remember Avon when I shop around. My last tire was bought after a flat, and was towed to the HD shop so, just took the deal they had. The labor was reasonable, but the tire pice and tube burnt me a bit. But I was a long way from home with no tools and it would have cost me more to tow the bike home.

I have to admit i also like the avon venom they do work well on my roads in all weather conditions and as it seems to be always wet here i have a fair bit of wet road experience
However i found the tread depth to be the same as on the d402 however the groves are wider and can disperse water well

Brian

Yes I agree on the comments on the Avon tyres (tires) I have ridden past their factory in England and seen their road rester out on the road.

All my previously harleys had the issue Dunlops which I was happy with, but if Avon do a fitment for the streetbob I will go for Avons when the Michelins are done.

Their have been michelin tyres in the past which the past which were not good in the wet-the AM90 was one.

However, to be fair to the Scorchers, my buddy was reporting sliding on his dunlops too. The area we were in may have had a prolonged dry spell and as regular wet weather riders know, the roads are slippery for up to thirty minutes after the rain starts until the various cruds on the road are flushed off.

As stated before I lack confidence in the skinny front but I am working on that. That factor combined with a few slides in the wet spooked me.
I'll no doubt be out in the wet again at some point and be able to report back.
I'm going in to the dealers today and will make a report for HD Technical dept.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far.

I had the michelin scorchers on my 2010 superglide and they did fine in the rain. Although I rode easy and steady! But I never had the bike slip or slide at all. I got 11k out of the original front and rear scorcers but replaced with dunlop K591s only due to pricing. The scorchers are a alot more money. So I have over 2K on the dunlops now and have to say I like the dunlop handling better.....smoother feel in the corners.

Blueglide,

I've ridden a fair distance in rain with my Sporty and skinny 21" front dunlop. The front stuck and tracked very well in the turns and under some agressive braking. The rear dunlop could get a little greasy coming out of corners but, still managable. Sorry, can't help with the Michlins. Just thought I'd post my experience with a skinny front tire.

Cheers.
WAP.gif

Back