free website stats program Metzler 210/50/17 | Harley Davidson Forums

Metzler 210/50/17

W

wildspirit97

I think I've been through every available tire option for the softails with the 200 tire on the back. I ride 2 up a lot although 45 or more miles a day 5 days a week are solo. I don't ride a lot of city miles. most my miles are country roads and freeway.
Stock Dunlop 200/55/17 got about 9500 miles.
Avon Cobra 200/55/17 got about the same.
Metzler 880 210/50/17 was on about a month and a half and got about 3000 miles :shock and I just took it off today to have my new stock D407 dunlop mounted and balanced while I'm at work tomorrow, because I'm afraid to ride it anymore it looks like it's gonna come apart in the middle.
Here's some photos for anyone thinking about spending the extra dough on a Metzler.

By the my local dealers where $199.45 + Tax for the Dunlop. I ordered mine from Latus HD out of Portland Oregon, It took 2 days to get here to Spokane, Washington and the total cost was $155.50. $154.00 for the tire and $1.50 for handling. They have free shipping on orders over $149.00

Attachments

• DSC00261.JPG
    DSC00261.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00262.JPG
    DSC00262.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00263.JPG
    DSC00263.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00264.JPG
    DSC00264.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 35
Used Metzler 880 on my Suzuki for years. Never had any problem, even got 21000 out of one rear tire. After they started making then in Brazil, I heard a lot of negative about them.

wow, that doesnt look good :52:

I agree with Bud, send that one back.
almost looks like it was scratching something top inside of the fender.

I have Meztlers on my Softail, they work fine..

Well I got the reply from Metzler :bigsmiley17: It's pretty long and doesn't say a whole lot expect "Sorry 'bout your luck, Sucka!!" I guess I won't be getting another one, and I would suggest others don't consider it either, unless you put less than 3000 miles a year.
Anyway hear it is.

Hello

Thanks for the question and e-mail and sorry for the delay.

The ME880 tires are made in 4 different carcass constructions to meet the needs of the market. They come in bias ply, bias belted, steel belted radial, and cross ply radial. Along with these 4 types of construction the tires come in many different speed ratings from H which is to 130 mph to W which is 168 mph. So you know the ME880 210/50ZR17 has the highest speed rating of any ME880.

The ME880 range is designed to meet the needs of the application. For example the tires designed for a Honda GL1800 (130/70R18 180/60R16, both H rated) and a 07 Electra Glide (MT90B16 MU85B16, both H rated) are designed as touring tires with handling, performance and mileage all very important to the riders of these bike.

The next example is the custom bike rider with like a 90/90-21 and a 300/35R18. These tires and specifically the rear is designed as custom tire that must help this high torque and horsepower slammed on the ground bike hook up. These bikes are not designed as touring bikes but as bar hoppers so high mileage is not important to this customer but grip is. The low profile ME880 tires like a 210/50ZR17, 150/70B18, 180/55R18, 240/40R18, and 300/35R18 typically get less mileage but this is always influenced by riding style, air pressure, and load carried.

One must also take in to consideration speed ratings and mileage. In this case there is always a compromise of the grip needed as required by the bike and mileage. This means a higher speed rated tire is going to have a compound that give less mileage. The next point is sidewall height and mileage. A tire with a short sidewall will almost always have less mileage than on with a taller sidewall, and the reason is the air volume held by the tire. The best example is a 160/80B16 and a 150/70B18. Both tires are almost the same diameter, and yes the 160 is slightly wider but the big difference is the rim diameter. It is clear that the 16" tire is carrying more air volume so it will run cooler and longer than the 18" tire that carries less air.

Our actual touring cruiser ME880 tires used on a Gold Wing or Electra Glide typically get somewhere between 7K and 15K miles of use but this estimate is always influenced by riding style, air pressure, and load carried. Please also note we have had reports from consumers stating mileage well over 20K by many riders of these bikes as well as others. Remember that there is no mile guarantee in the motorcycle tire business and air pressure is the key to maximizing the mileage.

US Metzeler Moto
METZELER - home
877 202-4993

I know its not the popular choise but I will stick with my Dunlops I tried the rst and came home
I went back to the Stock tire Also. I'm not a big fan of Dunlops, but The D407 is actually a pretty good all around tire. I found it comparable to the Avon.

they have always given me the best milage and never had one fail yet.
I had tried other softer tires they felt good but just wore out o fast for the miles I put on

I know my Dunlop definately failed:(,unless cracking between the treads isn't a tire flaw.

Back