free website stats program Metallic Grinding noise on start up: Softail Standard 2003 | Harley Davidson Forums

Metallic Grinding noise on start up: Softail Standard 2003

03FSXTI

I have a 2003 softail standard, that has developed a very loud metallic grinding noise when starting. Just got done replacing the starter clutch based on reading and recommendation from a service tech.

Same loud noise remains when in the starting sequence, the bike starts every time but the noise is terrible. Did not have this noise the first 2 years i owned the bike. With the primary cover off there are no bad teeth on the ring gear and the pinion doesn't have any signs of wear. The battery is new and doesn't slump when starting the bike.

Any recommendations on what next?

Starter motor bearings. These can go if the starter is inadvertantly enguaged while the bike is running. A bad bearing in the starter motor will make a nasty noise. An easy way to check this is to Remove the spark plugs (To relieve compression). Plase the bike in third gear. And with the bike on a stand, spin the rear wheel (This will move the whole drive train) and listen for your noise.(This will isolate any sounds to the starter assembley. There is also a spring on the assembly that if it were broken, also makes a nasty sound.

Starter motor bearings. These can go if the starter is inadvertantly enguaged while the bike is running. A bad bearing in the starter motor will make a nasty noise. An easy way to check this is to Remove the spark plugs (To relieve compression). Plase the bike in third gear. And with the bike on a stand, spin the rear wheel (This will move the whole drive train) and listen for your noise.(This will isolate any sounds to the starter assembly. There is also a spring on the assembly that if it were broken, also makes a nasty sound.

No noise with the motor off and the bike in 3rd gear.

Just had the starter apart when I replaced the starter clutch. I did check if the bearings spun, but that would have been with no load on them. Will have to pull it again to check them closer.

Have you ever seen a problem with the starter jack-shaft? I can't pull if off with out removing the clutch so wondering if is worth the effort.

Thanks for any help

Back