free website stats program Metal shaving in oil filter (alot) | Harley Davidson Forums

Metal shaving in oil filter (alot)

I just bought bike about a month ago, traded in my 09 big bore 1250 sporty so I can take my wife riding with me ( it was tight on other bike) I bought a 2010 fat bob 96cid with 1100 miles on it. So this is the second oil change for it. I pulled the oil filter and left it in pan overnight and let all holes drain too . I notice alot of brass looking shaving today from the oil filter (alot) the filter did its job, didn't notice it coming from engine drain hole. I know when changing cams on sporty they used brass bushings for the cams. I have not taking this apart yet . Its all stock except for the exhaust and thundermax. Or it is valve guides(no blue smoke-I don't think so)? No noise in engine at all and runs great or burning oil either. I have not put oil presure gauge yet.. What really goes wrong with this motor for future problems. thanks guys

f it was mine, I'd cut the oil filter apart and stretch the media out for inspection. Messy, but not hard to do. Very unusual for problems with such low miles.

The last guy that had bike did the service at 1000 at the dealer, that was 1 yr ago and put only 100 miles on it after that. They used harley full syn oil in it. It looks like liquid graphite brass very little savings alot. I'm going to put my useable oil filter on and check it 100 miles and see.. thanks for replying back.. I don't want to clog up my oil pump etc yet and then lose motor.

Back