free website stats program metal disc to metal disc noise | Harley Davidson Forums

metal disc to metal disc noise

zoood

Product Contributor
I have a sound that happens very rarely down in my primary. It sounds exactly like 2 metal discs sliding together. The sound only happens when I start off. It happened 8 months ago and then nothing until just recently. But only once. Its not a continued sound with every time I start off from a stand still. Now before anyone jumps in there with an answer. I had installed a new clutch. New metal discs and new fiber discs. I had obtained the clutch kit that has extra fiber and metal discs that eliminates the riveted spacer HD puts in from the factory.
I installed the discs the correct way. Even the furthest in disc is fiber. Meaning its not metal to metal on the back wall of the clutch housing. It has been mentioned to me that the throw-out washer may be bad or on its way out. There's also a tiny bearing that is next to this throw-out washer on the end of the clutch rod. Is the throw-out bearing causing this noise? The tranny is a 1993 HD 5 speed.

zoood/RJ

What does it do if you pull in the clutch? Tho I have never seen this it could be a comp sprocket sticking, The older units were pretty bullet proof tho I suppose the ramps could wear and cause a noise

What does it do if you pull in the clutch? Tho I have never seen this it could be a comp sprocket sticking, The older units were pretty bullet proof tho I suppose the ramps could wear and cause a noise

When it makes that noise it kinda catches me off guard and just short of freaking out. When I pull the clutch in it stops. Would I be able to see the wear marks and why would it only happen every blue moon? And when it does happen I'm not doing a hole shot. Just a regular take off.

When it makes that noise it kinda catches me off guard and just short of freaking out. When I pull the clutch in it stops. Would I be able to see the wear marks and why would it only happen every blue moon? And when it does happen I'm not doing a hole shot. Just a regular take off.

Interesting, check the diaphragm for war page?

Interesting, check the diaphragm for war page?

Jack, clarify diaphragm. In other words dont abbreviate the part's name. Im lost without the correct name to look-up and I'm sure it is known that I cant do a search using the word diaphragm and expect a motorcycle part to come back.

tn944s3.jpg

Jack, clarify diaphragm. In other words dont abbreviate the part's name. Im lost without the correct name to look-up and I'm sure it is known that I cant do a search using the word diaphragm and expect a motorcycle part to come back.
Number 11 will be the diaphragm spring

Sorry, I thought a pictorial may help, If the clutch hub or the pressure plate and or diaphragm were a bit wrapped this could cause said noise

Sorry, I thought a pictorial may help, If the clutch hub or the pressure plate and or diaphragm were a bit wrapped this could cause said noise

Pictures do help. The diagram is perfect for showing what part your referring about.
Now as for a fix. If I went in and replaced any parts in there that you suggested. Until I hear that noise again. I just wont know if I had fixed the problem until then. Whats the worst thing that could happen? If I didnt do a thing to it? Clutch slippage? Also I assume that I could basically keep an eye on things by occasionally checking the primary drain plug's magnet. What do you think?

RJ

Pictures do help. The diagram is perfect for showing what part your referring about.
Now as for a fix. If I went in and replaced any parts in there that you suggested. Until I hear that noise again. I just wont know if I had fixed the problem until then. Whats the worst thing that could happen? If I didnt do a thing to it? Clutch slippage? Also I assume that I could basically keep an eye on things by occasionally checking the primary drain plug's magnet. What do you think?

RJ

Clutch slippage and or loud constant knocking noise would be a give away at a problem IMO, does the barnett set up have adjustable springs for the clutch, Not agreeing with Barnett but they do suggest ATF for their clutch packs and I would assume you pre soaked the plates

Back