free website stats program Mesh exhaust gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

Mesh exhaust gaskets

Irish Hog

I am changing exhaust today and I took off the old exhaust and found that the original mesh gaskets have basically melted into the housing. Should I scape this off or just leave it alone. I don't want to damage the head at all, I scraped a little and it seems like it is scraping at the metal and changing shape, I don't know how soft this is. Help!!

the mesh gasket should come out in one piece i use needle nose pliers to pull them out, if they are stuck i put a pick into the gasket and lever a little up - NOTE not under the gasket actually into the gasket so's not to scratch the head
There is nothing left to pull out!!. They have basically melted and have adhered to the head!!. My firtst thought was too just scrape it out, but I don't want to damage it. Should I just through the new gaskets in over the melted one's??

can you post a quick picture ?
i have yet to see one melted to a head or is it just the residue?
It will take a few minutes to get pic up, but i will do it. It is definaltly melted in, no gasket came out and it has metal shards on the residue..

I will give it a shot. Thanks..

I got em out!!

Now this is the first time I have done this so dont laugh. But the gaskets that came out are much wider than the new gaskets I got with the exhaust. Did they give me the wrong ones??.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who would have ever thought you could send pictures overseas in a instant and get some adivse..:bigsmiley20:

Attachments

• DSCF0800.jpg
    DSCF0800.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 33
you going to HATE me those are not the right gaskets, the one on the right is way to small it should start more or less the same thickness as the gasket you have removed which is the tall one on the left.
when you see it, it will look like a circular triangle with the point being at the front and the thick part at the rear tapering to the point where the exhaust flange inserts

and the wonders of the web never cease to amaze :D
Nah I don't hate you. I am glad you were on here, you have helped me a bunch. This is the reason I thought the gasket was melted or smashed in, because the new one was so thin.

Well I guess I am done for the night. Yet another trip back to HD tomorrow, for wrong parts again..:12:

Thanks Hobbit, I'll post the finished project tomorrow..Hopefully

you going to HATE me those are not the right gaskets, the one on the right is way to small it should start more or less the same thickness as the gasket you have removed which is the tall one on the left.
when you see it, it will look like a circular triangle with the point being at the front and the thick part at the rear tapering to the point where the exhaust flange inserts

and the wonders of the web never cease to amaze :D

the ones he posted are what hd gave me to real thin

to me it looks like the new ones are the screaming eagle exhaust gaskets instead of the Harley ones. If they are they will still work.

Back