free website stats program Mearurements of all required to make homemade floorboard extensions | Harley Davidson Forums

Mearurements of all required to make homemade floorboard extensions

Redman

Hey all...I was wondering if anyone could share the bolt # and spacer # from Lowes or wherever to do the homemade floorboard extensions instead of paying $50 or so I would like to do it myself...with a little help from you all. Thanks ..Redman:bigsmiley14:

I took my bolts out measured them and went to the hardware store. I used washers as spacers and painted them black when I was done. Using stainless hardware I still spent about 30 bucks. So the Kit from Harley Goodies is a good deal if your not into alternate engineering.

I just made 1" extension's out of aluminum square stock and matched up S/S allen head bolt 1" longer then the stock ones from a local hardware. I had the 1" longer S/S bolt's with locking nut's for the rear on the primary side at the house already.

I just made 1" extension's out of aluminum square stock and matched up S/S allen head bolt 1" longer then the stock ones from a local hardware. I had the 1" longer S/S bolt's with locking nut's for the rear on the primary side at the house already.

I hope you checked for the grade of bolt you bought or you could get a big surprise.:D

Generally the bolts in the hardware store aren't a higher grade like used on these bikes. The SS bolts are also graded differently too.

I hope you checked for the grade of bolt you bought or you could get a big surprise.:D

Generally the bolts in the hardware store aren't a higher grade like used on these bikes. The SS bolts are also graded differently too.

SS bolts generally have a much lower shear strength than ferrous allen bolts in the same diameter.

Most hardware stores i visit sell grade 5 and 8. Unless your fatter than a sumo wrestler i doubt you would need a grade 8

Here is a handy thread chart
Thread Pitch Chart | Portland Bolt

I won't buy bolts at a hardware store anymore,most of the hardware stores have gone to off-shore suppliers and even though the bolt heads show the proper grading many times they are inferior and we have had a few fail.I stick to buying from Fastenal where I have never had a problem with bolts shearing or stretching. JMO

Back