free website stats program master seal | Harley Davidson Forums

master seal

jel1234

please a little help maybe some one like glider i have a 2004 front master cyl it leaked so i got a kit put in new o rings but i cannot get the outer seal to go in right it just keeps popping back outwent to harley they said replace the whole unit thats what they do is there a trick to getting the seal in thanks jel1234

I am sure there are a lot of people out there that can help you. But a 2004 master cylinder out of what. Maybe a couple of pictures or a link to Bike Bandit & show a parts break down.
Was the old seal just like the new one you putting in. Was the seal flush when installed or was it recessed in the bore.

Just trying to help because I know you posted this question 3 times with no replies.

I just push down around the edges, sometimes I will use a deep socket and extension to give me some leverage and rotate the socket around the seal.
kemo

One other thing, early model M/C like 2004 down used Silicone DOT5 brake fluid which is inert...if you assembled it with DOT3, 4 or 5.1 which is Ethyl-Glycol based, it will swell the seals and may not allow it to seat properly...

Check out what is the compatible fluid for you M/C (the cap is usually labeled as such). Your not being able to seat that seal is likely a symptom rather than a cause. Also never clean or assemble the M/C with anything other than 100% denatured alcohol (cleaning) or brake fluid (assembly lubricant) and no rags or paper towels.

If I remember right there are two different bore sizes available for master cylinders... be sure you have the right size Kit. I believe the size is stamped near the bore.

Harry is correct, dual disc vs single disc brake system used different M/C bore size, it is explained in the HD Service Manual as well as the rebuild kit instructions which the HD dealer should be able to print out for you. Do check the HD p/n of the rebuild kit matches the M/C you are rebuilding...that could also cause fitment issues of course.

Back