free website stats program Master Cylinder | Harley Davidson Forums

Master Cylinder

JPHarley

I rolled my handlebars down about an inch or so. My question is...the front brake master cylinder is no longer level. Should I loosen it and rotate it so it is level when the bike is upright (off the stand)?
Thanks,
JP

The most important thing is that you have the break lever positioned for comfortable riding. Having the master cylinder slightly off level will not change performance. It will, of course, make reading the level of fluid inaccurate, not to mention making topping off a bit more of a challenge. But, as long as there is ample fluid and the feed to system is approximately the low point in the cylinder, you are fine.

Thanks Sharky for that info. Since I didn't move the bars that much I didn't notice any change in the brake lever. I was just out looking at it and it looks like there are two torqe screws holding the whole thing tight. I might try to loosen them and rotate it back up to level and see how that feels.

JP

The key is that the port in the bottom-front of the MC should not be "dry" of brake fluid. If you position your handle bars too far down (towards the road - this would be pretty extreme), and depending on how full the MC is, the port might be uncovered (dry). This would allow air into the system and affect braking. So, open up the MC and eyeball the port so your have a good mental image of where it is. Then top-up your MC with the appropriate brake fluid and put the cover back on. Evaluate where any air pocket would be in relationship to that port you spyed. Chances are that unless you have the bars slung down BELOW the gas tank (where you would not be able to turn), you are OK.

TQ

Back