free website stats program Massive Carb Leak - Fuel | Harley Davidson Forums

Massive Carb Leak - Fuel

acooper_104

Hi,

I have just finished upgrading my 883 to a 1200. Have put it back together and it starts! That’s the good news. Bad news is it won’t idle or run for more than ~ a minute. Gas leaks badly out of the carburetor overflow tube and out of the bottom of the carburetor. Once this occurs the bike stalls and gas leaks out of the carb for about 10 minutes. I’m not sure what is the root cause here, can anyone offer me insight on how to trouble shoot and fix this issue?

Thanks

rd

Your needle is most likely not seated and it is not shutting of the fuel. Take a small hammer and tap around the float bowl where the fuel hose goes into the carb. If this doesn't work you will have to take the bowl off and check the needle and seat for a piece of dirt.

It could be a couple of things,Float level not adjusted correctly,or float needle off its seat.Might want to look in the self help section for more info.Also Glider is a guru on these kind of topics.

First check the obvious. Make sure the drain screw is seated, its accesible from the left side of the bike (most of the time) and at the bottom of the carb. After thats checked... I'd say your best bet is to remove the carb, open up the bowl, and inspect the float assembly. After you take the bowl off theres a pin that sill slide out and the floats, and needle can be removed. Make sure everything is clean. When putting it back together i usually blow thru the fuel line and take my finger to raise the float to make sure the flow is being shut off. When you remove the pin from the float assembly be careful not to lose your needle. After the pin comes out everything kind of falls apart, and the needle itself is only held in with a little clip.
If you're sure you got it back together right and the problem is still happening make sure the carb is sitting somewhat level. If you're still leaking gas it might be time to adjust your float level. That means bending it until it shuts off at the right level. Good luck, i hope this helps.

Sounds like something under the needle in the feed for the carb. I would drop the float bowl and the float, remove the needle and turn on the fuel supply to flush the line and clean and reinstall everything. If there 's something in there good chance it's not going to pass through and must be removed or it will do it again and leave you stuck somewhere.

All of the above is good but should also check to make sure the float is not damaged (ie. Cracked or fuel in side if it).

I'm no expert but, I had the same issue and it ended up being an issue with the float not being set right. The title of my post is '883 hugger won't start". nIt is on the same page as yours right now. Take a look at it and there just might be some helpful info in there.

Hi folks - -thx for the advice and the schematic. It was a big help and the problem is solved. . . starts right up and no fuel leaks.

It was the needle, I just pushed on it a bit with my finger and "pop" it loosened up.

thanks again big time!

rd

Back