free website stats program Marine battery in a Chevy truck | Harley Davidson Forums

Marine battery in a Chevy truck

Mavagrand

My 07 Silverado is in need of a new battery. I happen to have a 1 year old Marine battery (used it on a trawling motor) that is sitting unused, I got rid of the boat. Would any damage be done to my truck if I replaced the stock battery with this marine one?

If the CCA were on par with the old one, I would use it. Plus its already paid for.

Bodeen

Marine batteries are usually deep cycle batteries and used for running accessories on boats because they can be drawn down significantly and recharged without damage.
If the AH rating on the battery is the equivalent of the stock battery or higher, go for it.

Just verify that the terminals are in the correct position and you don't hook it up backwards.

My 07 Silverado is in need of a new battery. I happen to have a 1 year old Marine battery (used it on a trawling motor) that is sitting unused, I got rid of the boat. Would any damage be done to my truck if I replaced the stock battery with this marine one?

might not last to long. a car/tuck battery has more cranking power to your vehicle where as a marine battery is made to that it last in amp hours. i would not do it JMO

I would not use a marine battery. Go to Walmart or local parts store and buy the proper application battery. My concerns are 2, not enough cold cranking amps and I believe marine batteries are deep cycle and are not designed to have a charging system to recharge. I would be concerned for the alternator and ecm.....

Don't know about the CCA, but I used marine deep cycle on my cabin boat which had an alternator to charge the batteries. Never had any problems cranking the 454ci or running the bilge pumps or other acc.

I would have thought that a marine battery would be suitable for starting a marine diesel engine which may require a wee bit more effort than starting your truck but it does depend on the power output of the battery
I would try it and see how it works

Brian

WE used marine batterys in race cars with no alternator..Of course this is with not much running on it...Charge it nite before....I have marine batterys in my dump and cargo trailers....Thay do get a charge from the truck when in use...I would use it if it has enough CCA and fits in the battery box and hold down bracket works.....We dont want your battery to go flying in a crash...:s

Marine batteries have thicker plates to have longer reserve capacity, thats why they cost more, more lead. If CCA or CA are close to being the same theres no reason you can't run one. There are alot of police/emergency type cars/trucks that run them all the time with not only no problems but alot less in the long run for how they are used.
wilks3
:USA

Back