free website stats program March 30th is Welcome Home VN Vets | Harley Davidson Forums

March 30th is Welcome Home VN Vets

R_W_B

The Senate has declared that March 30th will be Vietnam Veteran's Welcome Home Day. Below is a pasted copy of the resolution:

Washington D.C - The U.S. Senate on March 8 declared March 30th as "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day," agreeing unanimously to a resolution introduced by Senator Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs. Senator Burr introduced the resolution for the second consecutive year on February 16, 2011.

The United States became involved in Vietnam because policy-makers believed that if South Vietnam fell to a communist government, communism would spread throughout the rest of Southeast Asia. The US Armed Forces began serving in an advisory role to the South Vietnamese in 1961, and in 1965, ground combat troops were sent into Vietnam. On March 30, 1973, after many years of combat, all US troops withdrew. More than 58,000 members of the United States Armed Forces lost their lives and more than 300,000 were wounded in Vietnam.

This quote from Senator Burr:
-I'm pleased that the Senate has agreed to set aside a day to give our Vietnam veterans a warm, long-overdue welcome home. I strongly encourage communities throughout North Carolina and across the country to observe this day with activities and events that honor these veterans for their service. It's time they receive the recognition they have earned and deserve. This day also provides our nation with an important teaching moment. Never again should our men and women serving in the armed forces receive the same treatment as those returning from Vietnam-

I AGREE, AND AM A 100% diaabled Veit Nam vet. BUT
where are the jobs, Mr.Speaker.

I feel for you man. Have you tried the Post Office and the Veterans Hospital near you? I have a disabled Nam Vet friend that served with me in my unit and he got on at the Post Office. All government jobs put disabled Vets at the head of the list.

The Vets hospital has many types of jobs. Hoping the best for you and WELCOME HOME!.

You know you can't work if you are 100% disabled. Welcome home brother!

And welcome home to you too my brave friend, I know of your service.

But just to be clear a 100% disabled Vet can work (if he is able to perform some duties required) and still collect his disability.

Case in point, I am in (and hope you and Sharpscuba are too) the Agent Orange exposure registry. If I get any one of several different cancers caused by Agent Orange I become 100% disabled and start receiving benefits thereof. Of course many of the cancers are not surviveable but prostate cancer is one that is.

Anyhow just sayin in some cases it would still be possible for a 100% disabled vet to work at some sort of job and still collect his disability. It depends on certain varibles.

Thank you all for your service and sacrifice for our great nation. Yes, it is about time something more was done to honor those who fought in Vietnam. And the last line DOES say it all...having had many family members and friends serving there and still suffering from the effects of Agent Orange and trauma there and at home.

Hey RWB thanks for the info. I am in the agent orange registry and I am going to have to check this work info out! Thanks and I also know of your service! Thanks brother!:)

Washington D.C - The U.S. Senate on March 8 declared March 30th as "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day," agreeing unanimously to a resolution introduced by Senator Richard Burr (R-N.C.), Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs. Senator Burr introduced the resolution for the second consecutive year on February 16, 2011.
This day also provides our nation with an important teaching moment. -

My opinion to this thread is this: I guess better late than never. The problem is the troops returning home today are not even getting the treatment that they rightly deserve. Thats why the First Lady has started a campaign to change Americas lack of respect and care for our troops and their families. It seems to me that Senator Burr has a personal agenda going on. I disagree with the last sentence for as Americans we should have this instilled in us from when we are young, and taught to respect those who have given so much for our freedom and not take that for granted.... So not only is this long overdue, but the Vietnam Vets and all Vets need to be celebrated daily and not just on Veterans day or when a government offical decides its time.

My opinion to this thread is this: I guess better late than never. The problem is the troops returning home today are not even getting the treatment that they rightly deserve. Thats why the First Lady has started a campaign to change Americas lack of respect and care for our troops and their families. It seems to me that Senator Burr has a personal agenda going on. I disagree with the last sentence for as Americans we should have this instilled in us from when we are young, and taught to respect those who have given so much for our freedom and not take that for granted.... So not only is this long overdue, but the Vietnam Vets and all Vets need to be celebrated daily and not just on Veterans day or when a government offical decides its time.

Well I do understand where you are coming from and I also posted this on another forum and got many negative reactions from other Viet Nam vets there blasting this as a farce. But I feel it is a good thing considering that really just about everything on this planet comes from an adjenda. There is little (other than true friends that comes otherwise). I do appreciate your honesty though and much of what you say is true. If I may I would like to post my reply to the many negative replies of other VN vets on another forum.
---here it is,

I am a Viet Nam vet and I know where you guys are coming from but don't view it the same way. I see it as new people of a new generation with a changed view of things (and some older ones who have wised up). I welcome this.

To not welcome it would be like to blame all white people now for the racism of 40 yrs ago when the Blacks could not eat at public resturant or the WWII all black units (the Buffalo Soldiers) got no recognition for their service at Normandy.

I understand but don't agree.

Back