free website stats program Mapping | Harley Davidson Forums

Mapping

PatFLH

Hello all.. I picked up a 2002 Road King with a stock 88 and a Vance & hines exhaust. I am getting a popping and slight backfiring mainly on decelleration. I dont know if the fuel inj. was ever remapped and am Not familiar with this.. (always had carbs) can anyone tell me about it? ie: process, cost, time needed?? Thanks, Pat

Pat

Even if the ECM was remapped by the dealer, it is still running lean for EPA compliance.

Your best bet is to add a TFI and you will be able to adjust your FI just like a carb then.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Scooters, Sport Bikes, Watercraft

Lots to read about it here and also Dobeck posts on this forum so just incase you needed help, they are here to help.

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

TFI Questions Answered By Dobeck - Harley Davidson Community

I had the mapping done at the dealer, its a $150.00 download charge plus 1/2hr labor, I paid $197.00. I have a slight decel popping also. As I understand, popping is always there, just not real audible with stock pipes. The more free flowing aftermarkets make it more audible.
I am going to have the dealer double ck it when it goes in for the 1000 mile check up later this month. With out service records, I am not sure how you can tell if your bike has had the download.
Good luck, If I get anymore info from dealer after service, I will post it.

With out service records, I am not sure how you can tell if your bike has had the download.
Good luck, If I get anymore info from dealer after service, I will post it.

The dealer can check their computer using the VIN or hook up to the bike with the digital tech to determine if the mapping is stock or not.

Sometimes decel pop can be caused by loose exhaust connections or a leak at the head pipe to cylinder connection. Check the header nuts for the proper torque.

Back