free website stats program Mandatory safety testing | Harley Davidson Forums

Mandatory safety testing

Here in the UK the Government impose mandatory testing of all motor vehicles once they are 3 years old and then annually thereafter. It,s called an MOT (Ministry Of Transport) test. Licensed garages check brakes,lights,horn,tyres, wheel bearings,exhaust emissions and so on. The fee is about $45 for a motorcycle and around $70 for a car with a retest fee (after repairs are done) if it fails. Is this similar in the USA and other countries?:UK

Some states have a similar inspection and the reason varies. For instance, I live in Connecticut...years ago all vehicles over 10 years old had to be inspected for "road worthiness" at the time of registration by the new owner. They have since done away with the inspections but you can still be cited for faulty equipment by a law enforcement officer and sent for an inspection by a motor vehicle official. This is most common with ape hanger handlebars and excessively loud exhaust pipes. I bought my most recent motorcycle from another state and mine only required a vin number verification but no safety inspection before I was allowed to register it in my state. The laws are different from state to state though.

Thanks for the update BigAl66. Here if you don,t have a valid MOT certificate you cannot get the required annual Road Tax disc. To get the Road Tax disc you also have to have a valid insurance certificate. Annual road tax for my RK is about $100. :UK

Sure is lot of taxes over there(still) !! In Ohio motorcycles with valid title don't require any inspection(exempt) & everybody has to register their motorcycle every year for vehicle license tag for around $32.00/year , C.D.L. drivers license is &44.75 for renewal every 4 years & regular drivers license is cheaper approx. $35 every 4 years . Ohio doesnt have the rules & regulations like New York & other east coast states & California & the west coast states . Were are a no helmet state - YEA !!

Safety Inspection required once a year with proof of insurance here in Texas. Roughly 15.00 bucks.

For some, the inspection catches flaws you aren't aware of.

I believe here in B.C. the gov. is dumping the inspection program because the new cars run so clean and there are fewer and fewer cars failing.

I was stationed in MS years ago and there was an annual inspection of cars only, not required for motorcycles. I now reside in AL no inspection required for either.

In response to Vonh...In the UK the Government have gone the opposite way making the emissions testing more stringent to (supposedly) reduce carbon emissions. On the "up" side the testing can pick up items the rider may not have noticed or may have ignored.

The police also use ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) which is a computer licence plate reader fitted in traffic enforcement cars. If an untaxed vehicle passes the police car (whether he police car is stationary or mobile) an audible signal alerts the officers. They stop the vehicle and check tax, valid insurance and current MOT. Untaxed or uninsured vehicles are impounded until the owner pays a fine and a release fee and produces valid insurance documentation and tax disc. If the owner doesn't produce these or opts not to do so, the vehicle is crushed.

:UK

Annual inspection here for bikes and autos. Costs about $35. I do believe that the inspection on trailers is now gone. Inspection garage puts a sticker on the center top of your windshield for the leos to view. Vermont has a purchase and use tax on vehicles as well. This tax differs from a sales tax which we also have. Every time you sell a vehicle the purchaser must pay a tax on the vehicle when registering. The tax is 6% of the NADA value of the vehicle. If you move here from out of state and register your vehicle here you must pay this tax. I just bought an Xterra from New Hampshire which has no sales tax and when I got back here to register I had to fork over 6% of book value. Again, every time you sell a vehicle here the new owner must pay the sales tax again even though the tax was paid (possibly many times) by previous owners. Can you say double taxation?

Back