free website stats program Main primary seal oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Main primary seal oil leak

truckerchopper

Hi. This is my first post so I hope I get it right. I bought an 89 softail custom which had an oil leak from the primary. I pulled the primary and changed both the main and jackshaft seals. Still leaked, figured I may have damaged the seal putting it back on. Pulled the primary again. Seals looked ok, but I changed them anyway and put it back together. Third time I pulled it apart I took a good look at the transmission shaft the cluch sits on and realized that there was a bushing on the shaft that the seal rides on that had moved outward towards the clutch. (It had originally looked like part of the shaft to me.) I drove the bushing further to the end of the shaft and thought at last my problem was over. Put it back together, drove 20 miles, and again, leaking. Does anyone know if there should be shims or spacers to set the depth that the bushing should sit at? Also, although the bushing is quite tight, (I don't believe it has moved after I drove it further onto the shaft) what should keep it from moving back eventually like it has? Just locktite or??
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi. This is my first post so I hope I get it right. I bought an 89 softail custom which had an oil leak from the primary. I pulled the primary and changed both the main and jackshaft seals. Still leaked, figured I may have damaged the seal putting it back on. Pulled the primary again. Seals looked ok, but I changed them anyway and put it back together. Third time I pulled it apart I took a good look at the transmission shaft the cluch sits on and realized that there was a bushing on the shaft that the seal rides on that had moved outward towards the clutch. (It had originally looked like part of the shaft to me.) I drove the bushing further to the end of the shaft and thought at last my problem was over. Put it back together, drove 20 miles, and again, leaking. Does anyone know if there should be shims or spacers to set the depth that the bushing should sit at? Also, although the bushing is quite tight, (I don't believe it has moved after I drove it further onto the shaft) what should keep it from moving back eventually like it has? Just locktite or??
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not second guessing what you are doing, but take a look at this:

Primary Oil Leak - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

If you are talking about the inner primary bearing race that the inner primary bearing (behind clutch) rides on, there is going to be a gap inbetween the race and the main drive gear (where pulley mounts to). this gap is so you can fit the tool behind the race to remove if need be. Is there any fluid covering the outside of the pully/sprocket. if so it could be the small main drive gear seal behind that race that is leaking, or if there is fluid on the backside of the pulley/sprocket it is the large tranny seal that is suspect. If you drove the race too far in to get the tool behind you have to cut 2 grooves in the race and use a split bearing puller to remove.(carefull not to cut to deep into the shaft) sometimes tranny seals that leak can make it seem that it is the primary that is leaking

had a problem of oil leek that at first looked like coming from primary but was the wrong colour it was transmission oil leaking from the mainshaft oil seal
its the seal behind the inner bearing race
had to pull the race off the shaft
then drilled a small hole in the seal and put in a long self tapping screw
and used the claw end of a crowbar to leaver the seal out
cleaned up the shaft and seat where the seal fits and drove in a new seal refit the inner bearing race
when the inner bearing race is in the correct position should be 1/8" from the end of its seat on the shaft measured from the clutch end
hope that makes sense
would be best to have a service manual for exact measurements etc both the hd and the clymer service manuals cover this area to the same degree

Brian

Thanks for all the feedback. I will take another look at the seal behind the bearing race. As for the specs on how far the race sits on the shaft, my dealer is supposed to have a service manual in for me any day now.

did you change the o ring (QUAD SEAL) also behind the main seal (the big seal) sometimes when putting in that jack shaft seal it's real easy to cock it and damage it putting it in,

i had the same thing on my bagger took it to a guy to fix it same thing LEAK!!!
to make a long story short i fixed it myself

Hi I,m new to the site allso,,,,one way to find were the leak is comeing from is to drain all the fluid out of the primary and replace it with (red in color) transmission fluid.....take the bike for a ride as usual....Let the bike sit untile it starts leaking again....if the fluid is red the leak is comeing from the primary....if its a different color other than red,,you have a transmission leak..I hope this info will help you....Best wishes....moe man

Back