free website stats program Main Beam??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Main Beam???

Steve48

Hi guys,

Noticed my dipped light was not working the other day so replaced the bulb. It was then that I noticed that whether on dip or main beam only one fillament is on.

The bulb is a 35W / 35W. I therefore assume that on dip there should be one fillament on and then main both should light to give a full 70 watt.

I have put a multimeter accross the 2 wires (+ earth) and this confirms that when your in dip position 12 volt is fed to one wire and in the main position the other wire then becomes 12 volt.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the bulb fitment may be an aftermarket job.

Could someone confirm this please and let me know what is the correct fitment I should have.

Bike is a 2000 XL1200 Sport.

Many thanks.

Only one filament should be on at a time due to the shape of the bulb/reflector/lens you get a different light pattern coming from the light depending on which filament is lit
i personally use a 55w/60w h4 bulb but the 35w doesn't sound like it would be much use on an un lit road

Brian

Thanks Brian,

I have a feeling that I need to change the actual fitment as the H4 bulb is totally different.

just went out to the shed and pulled the headlight on one of the bikes definatley an h4 bulb but my bikes are older 92/93/94 and they all take an h4 in the headlight

Brian

Back