free website stats program Made in Japan? | Harley Davidson Forums

Made in Japan?

Stovebolt

Was just wondering how many of the components on Harleys are not American made. When I changed my rear tire this Winter on my Sporty I couldn't help but notice that JAPAN was stamped on the inside of my laced wheel rim. Anyone else notice this or any other items on their bike (stock parts) that is obviously not American made? This is my first Harley and I'm not very happy with the idea of my "American made" bike having foreign parts on it. This was part of the reason I bought a Harley in the first place. Hmmm!:eam

Was just wondering how many of the components on Harleys are not American made. When I changed my rear tire this Winter on my Sporty I couldn't help but notice that JAPAN was stamped on the inside of my laced wheel rim. Anyone else notice this or any other items on their bike (stock parts) that is obviously not American made? This is my first Harley and I'm not very happy with the idea of my "American made" bike having foreign parts on it. This was part of the reason I bought a Harley in the first place. Hmmm!:eam

While none of us like it you might as well get used to it .. nothing is 100% built in America any more Assembled yes

I carry metric and standard tools. The name is American but a lot of the bike,.....not so much. I still love it.

While Made in Japan will get some negative comments, I will say the quality has come up quite a bit from the early 70's regarding materials and quality issues. But let's recognize the fact Japan peaked in the 90's, but the economy and high cost of manufacturing on an island with no natural resources and competition in the Pacific rim has taken it's toll as well. Showa shocks are right up front as is the Keihin carb which has served our Harleys well.

Not too happy about Made in China though, as they are still on the upward learning curve with serious quality and material issues. MOCO had to bow to pricing and second source supplier pressures to remain viable, keeping the price of their products affordable just like all the major manufacturers. Unfortunately this alternate part outsourcing just adds to the same downward spiral that drove manufacturer to promote offshore engineering, manufacturing and staffing, which is what happens, creating a "hollow" bottom line for funding all the shareholders and MOCO executives dividends being the only basis for successful investment in the company. Doesn't leave much left over to help the everyman to have lines of credit to buy that $30k brand new bike, improve R & D design or fund existing vertical marketing strategy over the long haul.

Back