free website stats program Lucas Syn 20w50. | Harley Davidson Forums

Lucas Syn 20w50.

porkchop

Just put Lucas Syn 20-50 cycle oil in my engine last week and this is the quietest oil yet. So far I am impressed! It dosent seem like too many people use it for some reason but so far its my fav.

Probably do to the availability at a local level. Mobil 1 seems to be at most of the auto parts stores.

No doubt Lucas Syn 20-50 is a good product.
Few things to be careful of judging oil by sounds is miss leading.
M1 will cause a bit more engine noise (compared to standard oils) but hard to find a better engine oil.
Today's engines need oils that flow better the old days of running a thicker oil to quiet things down just do not work anymore.
I run Spectro only because I like the company, I have often noted it does have less upper engine noise and seems to hold a slightly higher oil pressure when hot.
Of course none of this makes it a better oil just a bit different.
One thing I would avoid is any of the oil or gear lube additives they offer. I have seen some test that show it causing sever foaming in motorcycle engines and gear boxes.
I hear ya on the additives. I dont beleive in using them, they simply mask a problem that needs fixing.

Ran Lucas Syn 20W-50 in my Sporty, worked just fine, but I change my oil every 3,000 miles, so reason was for cost...O-Reily' price at $6.99 everyday, is very good and is rated for use in V-Twins...Mobil 1 V-Twin is $10.95 everyday (may find it on sale for about $2 off) !:D

i have run mobil 1 20w-50 v-twin for 3 years now no problems very happy but it has crossed my mind a few times to give lucas full syn 20w-50 a try might do that next oil change i know AMS oil is a good product but there advertising tactics ....i don't care for...so there oil will never rest in my crank case

i've used the lucas 20w-50 and so far no big problem. but i've found out, in "stop n go traffic", the knocking "tic tic tic" sound comes around if i open the throttle abruptly, i'd assume that happens because the engine temp is high not getting enough air to cool down in traffic jam (climate is also warm). But if i open gas gently, no knocking. That knocking also happened when i used hd sae50.

is that because of the high temp or the oil?

Tobaman, are you running premium gas, and are you running EFI (w/fueler) or Carb (w/enriched jetting)? May also want to check the plugs and possibly use decarboning combustion chambers using H20...:D

High temps. The knocking is most probably detonation from high cylinder temps.
Only does it in stop-n-go, so engine gets hot and knocks.
wilks3

Tobaman, are you running premium gas, and are you running EFI (w/fueler) or Carb (w/enriched jetting)? May also want to check the plugs and possibly use decarboning combustion chambers using H20...:D
on super or RON92 and carburettor... h2o??

High temps. The knocking is most probably detonation from high cylinder temps.
Only does it in stop-n-go, so engine gets hot and knocks.
wilks3
yep only in traffic jams. after getting out the traffic jams, i kinda have to open the gas slowly to reach higher speed to get more air so that the engine gets air. usually after getting cooled down, no more knockings.

Back