free website stats program Lucas Primary Chaincase Oil - Anyone here tried it? | Harley Davidson Forums

Lucas Primary Chaincase Oil - Anyone here tried it?

bobalu

In my 2010 RKC primary, I've used Redline and Spectro (primary specific). Had to have the compensator replaced last year (under warranty) and they installed the new SE with the glue on funnel thing. Since then I've run HD Formula+ in the primary and am happy with it. Just concerned about running synthetic with additives now that the glued in funnel is there. I can't believe how that thing is supposed to hold up with crazy glue??

Anyway, I came across the Lucas stuff and have never used their products before although I am aware of their generally good reputation.

Has anyone used this in their primary? Any comments or opinions? I don't believe Formula+ has any additives, which is why I switched to it. the Lucas chain case lube seems to have just a minor amount in it. Maybe I'm just being obsessive/compulsive, but the compensator issue still bothers me as I'm keeping my ride for many, many years. Not trusting MoCo on this one.

Here's a link to the Lucas product: (btw, HD stands for Heavy Duty, not Harley Davidson)

HD Primary Chaincase Oil

I know nothing about Lucas products (I thought I read some negatives about it years ago but I've slept since then).....

Nothing wrong with Formula+. Its the one HD lube that I have and would use. That being said it doesnt mean that RedLine or Spectro or whatever isnt a better product.

Thanks Bodeen.

I should have been clearer in my initial rambling post here. My concern with full synthetic (with all the additives) is if it would have any affect on the adhesive/glue on the plastic funnel they put on the inside of the primary cover with the new compensator kit installed vs. the HD Formula+ which I think is straight 50 wt.? gear oil.(i.e. no additives). It must be one heck of an industrial glue that they used....

Agreed on the glue. I never have luck with gluing anything besides wood and PVC. It is hard to believe that they have found a glue that will live in that environment for a long period of time...

Sorry, can't help on the Lucas. As far as the glue, I would think HD engineers put together the fix and it is not a shade tree solution. They are aware of the different lubricants and I think they would take that into consideration.

That makes sense Doug. I think I'm being too o/c on the glue thing. Still interested in hearing about the Lucas primary lube though.
WAP.gif

I have been running Lucas full syn 20 / 50 for the last 65,000 miles and i love it, but i have never used their primary lube. I was reading a e mail i got from cycle solutions, and they are now recommending straight 50 weight Lucas for 2008 and up Harleys, I am changing all 3 holes Saturday and going with the 50 weight. I have been running Klotz technoplate in my primary for the last 25,000 miles.

I have been running Lucas full syn 20 / 50 for the last 65,000 miles and i love it, but i have never used their primary lube. I was reading a e mail i got from cycle solutions, and they are now recommending straight 50 weight Lucas for 2008 and up Harleys, I am changing all 3 holes Saturday and going with the 50 weight. I have been running Klotz technoplate in my primary for the last 25,000 miles.

I haven't heard of the change in recommended oil to 50w. I am happy with syn 20w-50 in the crankcase. I have tried different primary oils (amsoil/shock proof) but still have the big clunk when changing gears. Maybe straight 50 would make that a little quieter.

What is the difference from 07 to 08 and the distinction "08 and up"?

I haven't heard of the change in recommended oil to 50w. I am happy with syn 20w-50 in the crankcase. I have tried different primary oils (amsoil/shock proof) but still have the big clunk when changing gears. Maybe straight 50 would make that a little quieter.

Any quality 20W50 or straight 50W conventional oil will work in the primary; no need to pay extra for synthetic or "special" formulas. The primary lubricant has nothing to do with the clunk; that is coming from the compensator or the transmission.

Try some Redline Shockproof Heavy in the tranny; that usually changes the clunk to a snick.:rofl

I Love Redline's MTL in the Primary (same as V-Twin primary by Redline) Says so on the Bottles...

Redline Shockproof Heavy for the tranny Too... :kissyou

Lots of miles using Redline Products and Used in ALL of my many bikes over the Years... :D

signed....BUBBIE

Back