free website stats program lowering the rear of 08 rg | Harley Davidson Forums

lowering the rear of 08 rg

baharp

my father in law has an 08 rg and is wanting to lower the rear only. i dont realy know why only the rear, but its what he wants to do. will it make a difference if he only dose the rear? thanks for the help.

Nope. No difference whatsoever as long as he doesn't slam it to the ground. Just putting a set of Profile Low Touring Shocks (54631-02B) should drop the rear about 3/4". Make sure he re-adjusts those headlights though or he will have a pair of "Owl-Seeker 2000's".

I lowered mine with Lowering Kits that hook between the shocks and the frame because I didn't want to pay the bucks for the shocks. Felt great until it bottomed out... Took it off...

So many do the same thing. For every action there is a reaction. Usually lowering a bike will cause some negative results too.

So many do the same thing. For every action there is a reaction. Usually lowering a bike will cause some negative results too.

Yeah I did it on one of my past bikes and the handling went to (EDIT). I will never do it again.

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
I lowered my 08 FLHTP with the off set brackets. It brought the bike down over an inch and I have had no problems. My last bike a 1995 FLHTP, which I rode in competitions was also lowered via the same type of brackets. With the stops cut it could turn circles inside my 2008. It does change the handling but it is not something you should notice. Just my opinion.

what would be the best way to go about lowering it new shocks, or a lowering kit, besides the cost? thanks for all the help so far!!

Buy the new shocks for safety sake.jel

If its leg clearance think about changing seat some seats will give you a couple in. ,jel

Last edited by a moderator:
To me the shocks are the way to go simply because with the brackets mine bottom out. I don't think the shocks will let it bottom out but I have been told it will make the ride a little hard.

Back