free website stats program Lowering kits. | Harley Davidson Forums

Lowering kits.

cowjammer

Do they make a kit for the 883C for a 2006 ? My daughter is now riding mine and I hate to alter it from stock but for safety reasons I think it wise to do so for her.I was wondering if it will effect the ride much and if I could get away with maybe shorter rear shocks and a different seat? I have a Mustang solo on it now that I love...But then again she's the one putting the miles on it.I was talking with a Gent who put a kit on his Road King and swears it was the worst thing he could have done so I'm a little apprehensive. Any suggestions? Also how are the lapperra seats for going the distance? THX Much!

Hobbit is the resident expert regarding Sportsters...lowering the Sporty is fairly easy, Progressive 412's outback 11" or less (stock is 12" length), change to Progressive springs in forks to level bike, with 7.5 Wt Fork Oil (up from 5W) with stock fluid capacity/level to 2oz (approx. 3/4" less) and your good to go. Because your gal probably weighs around 100 lbs, that would be a good starting point.

XL1200R_Mods.jpg

I did similar to my 2004 Sporty and it handles just fine, I weigh 135 lbs and am 5" 6", and afterwards, when I heel the bike way over, I scrape the the aftermarket exhaust bracket nuts that hold my drag pipe (changed arrangement to get more lean angle) and on the left, had to cut 1/8" off the rubber Jiffy stand bumper so the tang tucks in closer to centerline, now the end will not drag nearly as easily as before.

Last edited:
Sweet ! I'll check into the whole kit. JP cycles is always needing some more of my money ! Hey 74 fan, Tell clint I said HELLO. THX FELLOWS!

the 883C has the lowest shock fitted from the factory but it has the 21" front rim which kicks the front up slightly giving it the stance it has.
it can be lowered with after market suspension, which will help with the ride also as the rear shocks are a little rough on the sporty, also the fron t can be resprung with the kit for the 883L (low mode) but it will run out of suspension travel very quickly.
best be is fit a reach seat and better rear shocks

I was wondering about the bare bones seat, Dont they make one with Gel ?
Also what brand of shock? There not cheap but I'm a firm believer in ya get what ya pay for. So I'd rather spend a little more than throw money away on junk.

I was wondering about the bare bones seat, Dont they make one with Gel ?
Also what brand of shock? There not cheap but I'm a firm believer in ya get what ya pay for. So I'd rather spend a little more than throw money away on junk.

I would look at Progressive or Works Performance shocks. They have the progressive springs that help prevent bottoming out and gives you a more responsive ride. Just remember, if you lower one end, you need to lower the other. Lowering just the rear will change your trail geometry and change your handling. Also lowering the Sportster should not give you much ill effect because they are narrow. Lowering the RK is probably not a good idea since it is a wider bike with limited turning/leaning clearance.

I think I'll try the seat first then see how that fits her. I still like riding it also,So I dont really want to lower it. But I'll do whats safest for sure !

MB makes lower shocks and I have a Sonora Solo seat by Lapera (great seat ! ). The seat sits a little lower and has alittle kick-up in back to keep your rear from sliding back. I've got the Custom model, so I've got the 11" shocks on mine and it rides great, but I have been thinking about the MB shocks in 10 1/4". I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs.

Back