free website stats program lowering a touring | Harley Davidson Forums

lowering a touring

walleye

Contributor
How much of a handling compromise will lowering a 09 Ultra bring? Anyone actually do this? If so what method used? Thanks.

Ask me next week.I had installed the 12" Streey Glide shocks on my 07Ultra and it helped.I added a Corbin seat and it helped.I am waiting for my stock 13"shocks to return from Bitchin Baggers with a 1 1/2"haircut.Lowering the front look easy if I need it I will try a Burly or other front lowering kit.My reason for lowering is just to get more secure in low speed running and stopping with my wife aboard.You can't beat the way a Road or Street Glide feels if you have short 63 yr. old legs.

Too high for me. I am 5'10" and just a bit too short, especially if the wife is aboard. I do OK, but a inch or two would really help. I love the ride so I do not want to compromise it, I also really like the stock seat (surprise). Just want to get it right the first time.

I'll add that me being 260 the 12"SG shocks on my Ultra are okay with me solo and pretty much okay with my bride on the back but the Bitchin Bagger shocks have a real good rep around the forums and you can get a full1 1/2" rather than 3/4" from HD shocks.............we'll see.

As a sideline to my low speed confidence issue,just installed a Corbin dual heated touring stitched and studded seat w/backrest.At stop signs I feel much better in fact the whole bike feels better.It is like the whole bike firmed up,and oh yes,my (EDITED) loves it.

wolfshead1

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

yur up early,good morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW its to tall for you at 5'10" im 5"5" and lowered mine with the shocks from the street glide and the reach seat and i am still on tip toes, i will be lowering the front shortly with the shorter front spring system from the street glide, so far the lower shocks have not affected the ride or the handling of the bike

I'm 5' 5.5". Lowered '97 Ultra. 11" rear shocks and White Bros. front. Still
too high. Rolling was great but stopped was real rough. Especially with wife on the back doing the "lookie here lookie there twistie thing"! Almost fell over several times. Sold it. Was on way to look at a Kubota to finish land scape around house. Seen an ad in the new classified, 2005 Harley Deluxe with address. That was all. Stopped by address on my way to see tractor. Don't have a tractor. Stock Deluxe fits me perfect and I really enjoy riding it. Wife
misses the Ultra but does like the Deluxe.

I'm 5' 4" and shrinking with age. What I would like to know is more information from anyone who has lowered the front of their 09 Street Glide. I have the Reach Seat and stock rear shocks and I'm considering the Harley front fork lowering spring kit. Does the change in height have any adverse effects regarding turn-in etc....? Did the lowering up front make much difference with footing reach to the ground? Did the shorter springs compromise the suspension ride quality?
Having several Sport Bikes prior to this I know that dropping the front of the bike usually has a noticeable effect on how quick the bike reacts to turn-in/drop-in leaning response and sometimes a slight compromise with slow speed parking lot turning.

How much of a handling compromise will lowering a 09 Ultra bring? Anyone actually do this? If so what method used? Thanks.

I have an '03 UC. The '09 has a redesigned frame and related systems, so I am not talking "apples and apples". But at 5'-6", I needed the Ultra lower. HD front kit and shorter rear air shocks. That coupled with the REACH seat made a HUGE difference in the perceived stability of the bike. With these changes, the CoG is much lower and that affects the stability. I also added a linkage system to stabablize the engine/transmission (True Track in my case). All these things have made the bike ride like it is on a rail. Very comfortable. Ground clearance is affected, so I don't drive off sidewalks over the curb, take speed bumps slower to make sure I will clear, and have gradually increased my lean in turns until I know approximately when stuff will start to drag (jiffy stand on the left, floor board on the right). No biggy. The benefits in my case far exceed any downside.

Only caveat is that if you do lower, do both front and rear to try and maintain the geometry as much as possible. Oh yeah, and do let the air out of the shocks when you are riding solo. You can see the bike drop when you do that. Add just enough pressure to keep from "bottoming out".

TQ

Last edited:
WOW its to tall for you at 5'10" im 5"5" and lowered mine with the shocks from the street glide and the reach seat and i am still on tip toes, i will be lowering the front shortly with the shorter front spring system from the street glide, so far the lower shocks have not affected the ride or the handling of the bike

OK, I am busted I am only 5' 9 1/2"! LOL. I can get by but it would be nice to get flat footed especially two up in tight spots or uneven surfaces. I can sit on a freinds 06 Ultra flat footed, but with the new seat and tank I can't on this one. It is an expensive fix whatever I do so I am trying to get it right the first time. Thanks for all the replys.

Has anyone lowered just the front on their 09 Street Glide while using the stock rear shocks? They are already 1" lower on the 09 S/G and I don't want to shorten the travel. Maybe it's just me but it looks like the front of the bike is slightly higher than the rear. If that's the case I can't see where lowering the front a 1" would do any harm and in fact possibly even improve turn-in response and effort.
Feed back anyone??

Back