free website stats program Lower Nighster Rear End | Harley Davidson Forums

Lower Nighster Rear End

Ranger63

My Nightster presently has 11" center to center of bolts, rear shocks, stock HD. I would like to lower the rear by about 1". Should I be buying a 10" shock ?? Thanks guys, let me know.

Could you get that inch with the seat and maybe a lower profile tire with out compromising the ride?

I'm leaning with Chopper on that one...the Nightster is already a lowered "C" model in black livery, can't imagine doing much more lowering without it making the ride feel like a pogoing sawhorse while scrape-ing hard bits on mild curvy roads. If this is your daily driver, and you need to lower the bike 1" because of seat height/comfort, going to a Reach or Mustang seat, changing the handle bar/grip angle may help. Both available at your local HD dealer could be the ticket without sacrificing ride quality.:s

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the feedback. What I am trying to achieve is the rear ture buried into the fender look. It's not the seat height I want to lower. I just want to get that look, the wheel in the fender look. Thanks

In that case somethimes a little artistic "sleight of hand" would work by changing the rear fender profile and changing wheel/tire profile (if it is your daily driver so you don't tear up your spine and look good at the same time)!!!

Those are pretty stubby rear shocks...10" eye to eye length?...and yeah the tire really "nests" into the fender doesn't it... :swoon Quite honestly, in the early 80's I was looking at the XV (Virago) with sincere interest, liked the air/oil cooled simplicity, "sewing machine" smoothness and reliability when they were introduced.

Last edited:
Back