free website stats program Low water crossings | Harley Davidson Forums

Low water crossings

Beaver

I did a search and I could not find an answer for this question. At the Palo Duro Canyon in Texas this weekend I had to ride through several low water crossings. The water got up to my foot boards so it was not bad. But it made me wonder just how high can the water get and my Road King still drive through without stalling. Any ideas?

You sure don't want water over the wheel hubs or touching anything hot like pipes or the lower portion of the motor. Certainly nothing electrical should hit the water. I would try to stay well below the boards, maybe nothing deeper than the height of the rubber on the tires, whatever that is, 5 inches or so? Just my opinion.

As high as the exhaust is.As soon as you sink your mufflers the motor will die.Ever seen a 4 bye 4 with the muffler tube going up the side of the truck?

Be careful crossing low water crossings!! My wife and I went across one and it was covered in moss which is as slippery as ice. Needless to say we layed her down in about 6" of water and it was so slick I had a heck of a time picking the bike up. Some guy ran out and gave me a hand otherwise I don't think we would have been able to pick it up.

As high as the exhaust is.As soon as you sink your mufflers the motor will die.Ever seen a 4 bye 4 with the muffler tube going up the side of the truck?

My bro was a dispatch rider when he did his military service some years ago and use to ride a bike where the exhaust exit
was raised above the heights of the wheel as was the air intake.
The electrical and engine were waterproofed and you could ride through over a foot of water.
I wouldn't recommend it with a standard HD.

Back