free website stats program low oil | Harley Davidson Forums

low oil

1moretime

ok, i have an 09 superglide and it has 3300 mls, did my 1000 service and resently found out that its good to an oil change at 2500mls. i alway check the oil level when i level and when i stop/hot. thats because its my first bike and im wierd like that. well i just notice that its low, about 2 crosshair notches/levels low when hot. i checked the air filter got a little blow by. should i be worried. oh and should i change the oil now or just wait tell the 5000. im sure its up to me when i change oil, im just lookin to get the best out of my bike, and help it last for a long time.

Agree with Smitty and that no point in changing good expensive synthetic oil more often than needed unless under extreme conditions a majority of the time...for both the pocketbook and the environment.

Single formula for all holes, when each has unique, special requirements is a tall order and certainly compromises have to be made. On my Sporty the problem is made worse w/ only two holes; one for engine where temperatures skyrocket from 0 degees to nearly 260 degrees (barring hot spots), keeping all combustion deposit debris suspended long enough to be filtered out, along with the life saving additives for 5,000 miles in the engine alone, 2nd one for EP meshing gears in the tranny, slinging and splashing from a spinning chain with temperature range rarely getting over 100 degrees, but be thick enough to stay put instead of coating the cases...which just makes that magic formula even more elusive likely too much for one type lubricant...makes one ask the question why have three or two holes if only one lube would do? JMO

Last edited:
I may be misreading the original post but does he say he checks the oil with the bike level? My Dyna manual says to check it on the stand. I think if i checked it level it would show to be low and if you over fill there is not as much gap for expansion and you are going to get it in the air cleaner.

My guess is you should check according to the manual. My old dirt bikes had a site glass and you checked them level.

Good observation Spade5 and correct...always follow your manual regarding proper maintenance practices. The mild "blowby" is probably due to slight "overfilling" and the use of oil reasonable, so early in the bikes life (it is an '09) is probably okay as the rings seat to the cylinder walls...JMO

thanks for the info, i do check the bike on jiffy stand, and i do wait for a little while after its hot, i well try and wait longer before checking the oil, when the dealer did the 1000mls service, i got a receipt back saying all they used is 5qt of 2050SYN 3 oil. i ask if they changed the other fluids and they said its all the same. im looking more and more into doing my own service, i am new at this so i dont mean to sound stupid in this area, but we all learn. so thanks to you all. doesnt the the trany get different fluid i thought?

ok lets see, what i got was theirs engine oil, primary chainecase lube and tansmission lube, so according to the dealer on the 1000ml services they all use 2050 SYN 3 Oil. is this right? now im not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back