free website stats program Low gas mileage on FXD | Harley Davidson Forums

Low gas mileage on FXD

KPFLHRSI

Hello Guys,

My freind just bought a 02 FXD with the stage one installed, the bike has 7000 miles, and only gets 30MPG, my son has an 03 FXD with 10000 miles same mods and gets 45 MPG, my freind would like to know where to start looking for a solution to his extremely low gas mileage.

Thanks, Kevin

He must have some sort of tuner or programming, possibly from a SERT that doesn't stay with the bike. That is usually the only thing that will knock MPG down.

Sounds like it could be a "right hand" problem...

How you ride has a lot to do with your mileage.

Glider, sorry I forgot to mention that both bikes are carburated. I've ridden with both riders and my son is more heavy on the right hand.

Kevin

Hey KPFLHRSI,

I just saw this thread started by you a while ago. I think i might be the one you were talkin about with the heavy right hand. And i have already told you, dad, i only had a heavy hand for the first couple of months after i got the bike because i liked hearing it. Since then my hand has gotten a lot lighter and my MPG went up close to 50. Haha

Your son,
Travis

That's pretty funny....:D So Travis, now that you have 'calmed' down a bit, just curious, what's your gas mileage now??

That's pretty funny....:D So Travis, now that you have 'calmed' down a bit, just curious, what's your gas mileage now??

Well I average about 50-51 Mpg now. My best tank was all highway and i got 54, and i am happy with those numbers... but every once and a while my hand still gets a litttle heavy, haha

That's cool, I usually get 45-50, but my best was 57. I discovered that my bike is happiest on back roads about 50mph. My throttle impairment usually happens on the highway, I can't help it, it's the bike. :D

That's cool, I usually get 45-50, but my best was 57. I discovered that my bike is happiest on back roads about 50mph. My throttle impairment usually happens on the highway, I can't help it, it's the bike. :D

Could be related to that fleeting "--runaway throttle some of the baggers are talking 'bout" Ya jus never know...:D

Back