free website stats program Low Fuel Light On | Harley Davidson Forums

Low Fuel Light On

sanec1

I ride a 1999 Road King. The low fuel light come on consistently at just over 100 miles. The gauge seems to drop quickly to 1/2 tank. Once when refuelling, the fuel was low in the tank. When I reset the odometer a code "CAL 01", "CAL 02", and "CAL 03" or something like that appeared. I have only had this happen twice. Both times I was low on fuel. When the low fuel light comes on I always gas up but it looks like there is at least a gallon left in the tank. This is annoying when on long trips and friends are not ready to refuel that have the same size tank. Could a faulty gauge be the problem? :( There is a K&N air filter, Thunderheaders, 21N cams and a TFI system on the bike. I ride like I don't care about mileage...

Last edited:
Here is some more info. Fuel light came on at 112 miles. I filled up with 3.12 gallons. I calculate that as 35.89 miles per gallon, which seems acceptable for my riding style. Is the low fuel light coming on premature in other riders experience? Is there a way to recalibrate the level? Thanks for any responses...

I have a 1999 RK Classic. My light comes on early as well. Interested if there is a way to recalibrate.

Now, with my stock setup I can go to 190 miles and then add fuel. Still its never more that just a tenth or so over four gallons.

I haven't had the low fuel light come on in my Ultra, yet. I do, however, use my MPG as a basis for when to fill up. I get about 45 MPG and for ease of calculation and to give a little lee way I round that off to 40 MPG. So for my 5 gallon tank, I'm good for about 200 miles. The fuel gauge is a tad on the inaccurate side, and I have found this method to work fairly well. Saves trying to tweek something that might not be all that "tweekable"....

I have same issue with my 99 road king light comes on around 120 miles into the tank and I get around 40-45 mpg consistently.

Thanks for all the responses. I did a search before posting this. I'm still curious if anyone has seen the "CAL 01" etc. come up on the the tripmeter. Bottom line is 36 mpg equals about 160 miles on a tank. Apparently the fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank so no sense pushing beyond that. I always reset the tripmeter when gassing up.

Back