free website stats program Louder Pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Louder Pipes

tsp45acp

Complete newb here. First Harley. 08 XL 1200C. Love the bike, but is a little too quiet. I'd like to put some louder pipes on.

Don't want "straight pipe noise", just louder than stock.
Not looking to spend big bucks. Would like to do this as in-expensively as possible.
What do the experienced recommend? Do I need to do anything other than replace the pipes? 08's are EFI--will I need to re-program/upgrade my ECM/computer chip (whateve it's called) to make the bike run better.

Air cleaner/filter upgrades?

Would also like a little performance improvement too. Low-end & mid-range. Top end is fine. I do a lot of 2-up riding & am looking for more low end & midrange power. Thanks, Tracy

Smitty,

That's a start on the info I'm looking for.

What's the difference between a "stage 1 & stage 2 & stage 3" etc upgrade?

What is involved in each and what do they do? Thanks, Tracy

Glider,

EXCELLENT READ! Thank you very much.... Explains it in a way even I can understand. Yup, pretty sure I want to do a stage 1 now. Tracy

Complete newb here. First Harley. 08 XL 1200C. Love the bike, but is a little too quiet. I'd like to put some louder pipes on.

I agree on the Stage 1. Get that beast breathin'.

Also agree with Glider on the fuel manager. Check it out, but the TFI is almost like tuning a carb. Easy to do, and you can change it anytime YOU want to without spending any more money at the Dealership.

OK, back to your original question. Straight pipes are probably gonna be the loudest, but you said you did not want that. Why? If you go with drags, use cones.

If you don't want drags, do what Smitty said and hang around other guys and girls with bikes like yours. Find a similar bike that you like the sound of and talk to the rider. They will gladly tell you all about their bike and the pipes/cans on it. Once you know what you want, shop around and get a deal. Then do some research on breathers, and you are ready once you pick your fuel manager.

Do it yourself, and then bristle with pride when folks tell you how good it sounds!!

TQ

Time to start puttin my pennies in the jar. Won't get to this until early next yr. But time to start planning now. Watched the "TFI" video. Agreed, looks like the best deal.

Pipes caught my attention when a bud rode his Fat Boy in with V&H's. Sounded SOOOOOOO good. Got me thinking. Went for a ride today with my wife on back and started thinking that I really like the way the bike runs with just me on it, but is just a bit "lacking" when she's on. I know there is a lot of "ability" just not being tapped in that motor. Low end & mid range just don't impress me enough. I know the bike can do more.

As I stated in another thread, I've had it to 105-110 mph, It'll outrun my testicles & testosterone. I want more at the bottom end. I think a stage 1 w/TFI will be the way to go. Thanks for the advice and info. I'll also check the the service writer dude at the stealership in the next couple of weeks to see what my warranty will look like with these changes. Tracy

Back