free website stats program loud whine | Harley Davidson Forums

loud whine

pig pin

When I pull the clutch in I get a very loud whine. Only when the bike is moving. Its a 02 WG. 5 speed, stock trans. I put new clutches in about 20,000 miles ago and have no problems with that. Shifts good. Clutch feels adjusted ok. Compensator looks fine and tight. Chain is adjusted. Sounds like its coming out of the primary side. I did look in their and found nothing wrong. Thinking may be in the trans main shaft bearing? Don't know were to go from here. Don't want to take it in. If I could figure out what it is I think I can fix it. Need help! Clutch in noise, Clutch out no nose.

From what you describe it sounds like the clutch bearing similar to a throw out bearing.

#21 in this pic.

HD1032043.gif

Thanks Glider. If its the clutch bearing, would I be able to tell by looking at it? And I was hoping it wouldn't be the throw out bearing! If I'm not mistaken, isn't the throw out bearing on the right side in the door? And wouldn't it be on the countershaft? The book doesn't show that bearing as a throw out bearing. It just calls it a bearing. Also I'm hoping its not the mainshaft bearing on the left side of the case.

I doubt your problem is the main shaft bearing because as you say with the clutch not pulled in, there's no noise. I would replace the throw out bearing, looking at it is difficult to tell the condition unless you see irregularities in the surface of the bearing.

Try to determine when you pull the clutch handle in if the noise winds up as the mainshaft speed changes or if it is constant with the handle pulled in.

I doubt your problem is the main shaft bearing because as you say with the clutch not pulled in, there's no noise. I would replace the throw out bearing, looking at it is difficult to tell the condition unless you see irregularities in the surface of the bearing.

Try to determine when you pull the clutch handle in if the noise winds up as the mainshaft speed changes or if it is constant with the handle pulled in.

So are you saying the bearing on the clutch is the trow out bearing? If so I will pull the clutch hub and replace the bearing.

Let me put it this way. The ramp on the other side opposite the clutch pushes the pushrod that separates the clutch plates on the other side in the clutch basket. Between that push rod and the clutch is where the wear factor comes in, the pushrod doesn't spin with the clutch. I would replace the bearing and go from there.

OK......... I changed the throw out bearing, this didn't stop the wining. I also took the clutches out then spun the clutch shell. I could hear noise witch sounds like a groaning sound. So I took off the clutch hub from the main shaft. Then I Spun the clutch hub, it sounded very quite and it seemed very smooth. Don't know if this means its OK or not? Now I turned the main shaft witch I still hear this groaning noise. I then looked at the bearing in the intermarry, witch I have off now, it looked like nothing wrong, the bearings look good. Also took the cams and cam plate out every thing looked good, all bearing's. At this point I'm thinking its the main shaft bearing. Anyone Help

Back