free website stats program Loud ticking sound. | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud ticking sound.

I bought my Road King last month. The first week I thought it had a exhaust leak from somewhere in front. A few days later when I was having my 1,000 service I asked the shop if it had a leak. Afterwords they told me they hooked it up to a exhaust pipe to the outdoors. And they told me it had no exhaust leaks. Today I am still hearing that louder than normal ticking sound and I think I have figured it out. Reading reviews online from other Harley riders I found the answer. People like me have noticed this sound from the lifters also and aren't to happy. To me the bike bike runs superb and if it is the lifters making more noise than other Harley's I can live with it. Plus not much I can do now after buying it.:bigsmiley29:

If you're not happy & feel there's something wrong - definitely address it w/your HD dealer's Service Manager. If they don't react and support - elevate to HD. Yes HD v-twins can be noisy, but not excessive so have it checked.

Try this. It worked great for me.

Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment
Published by glider (Community Liaison)
Published date: May 20th, 2008

Here's a trick to reduce the constant engine noise that sounds like valve train noises on the newer 96 Cu In. bikes that have the auto adjusting primary chain tensioners and no inspection port.
I tried this on my RKC and can notice a definite improvement. The problem seems to be coming from the primary chain and not really the valve train at all.

Here's what you do. Accelerate from a stop in first gear rather hard to about 30 MPH and then brake rather hard using only the rear brake without locking up the wheel and don't pull in the clutch until the bike slows enough.
Do this 2-3 times in succession and you'll notice that the noise that you thought was the valve train is almost completely gone now. Low speed riding is a bit smoother also due to less play in the chain.

By doing this, the automatic primary chain will ratchet up a bit tighter if it was loose before this. The acceleration and braking causes slack in the lower strand of the chain and will ratchet it up tighter if it needed an adjustment.

If it wasn't loose there will be no noted difference.
That is most likely the noise that was heard and not the valve train at all.

Sounds strange but try it!

Check the injectors, I thought I had valve train noise too. It turned out to be noisy inectors. H-D repleced them.

I Agree with 01rk i have an 09 ultra that I just bought and got one heck of a deal on because the 2011 are comin in. Mine has the same problem. The injectors are making a little ticking sound at stop lights. I don't think theres a problem with your ride but just to be safe run it over to the dealer and ask them to check it out.

Bill

I have noticed something like this on my Softail.

The sound I am getting is almost a very thin copper wire hitting the inside of the tank kind of sound. I know that is not a good description, but that is about the only thing I can think of.

I have tried the speed up and stop even though I am not sure that works on Softails, but it didn't help anyway.

Guess I should find the time to take it in since it is under warranty. Might have them give the transmission a look as well while I am there.

i have the same ticking on my new 2010 RK
I just figured i had something to do with all the backpressure untill i get rid of the CAT

Back