free website stats program loud pipes? | Harley Davidson Forums

loud pipes?

caseyleiser

I hear there are a few cities passing laws against loud pipes. How loud is loud. I hear anything up to 96 decibals at 2500 r.p.m. is o.k. I,m wondering if V&H monsters are too loud. They,re not loud to me, but I,m not the one with the decibel machine. Anyone been checked yet?

Our small town has restrictions on noise, which includes loud pipes on bikes and jake brakes on trucks. I don't know if they have a noise monitor or it's just what the police say.

I hope I can make some sense here about what little I know about decibles.
Sound decibles are measured on (I think it's called) a logarithmic scale. 97 isn't a little louder than 95, it's a LOT. Distance and angle are important 10' will give you a much higher reading than 15'. If the pipes are angle cut, standing right behind will not be accurate. Sound measuring is like challenging the handheld police speed detectors used to be, and can be argued in court, if you have the time and money. Personally, I have found that anything less than open drag pipes ridden responsibly will not attract the attention that quieter pipes ridden agressively will.

I hope I can make some sense here about what little I know about decibles.
Sound decibles are measured on (I think it's called) a logarithmic scale. 97 isn't a little louder than 95, it's a LOT. Distance and angle are important 10' will give you a much higher reading than 15'. If the pipes are angle cut, standing right behind will not be accurate. Sound measuring is like challenging the handheld police speed detectors used to be, and can be argued in court, if you have the time and money. Personally, I have found that anything less than open drag pipes ridden responsibly will not attract the attention that quieter pipes ridden agressively will.

I agree. Some people will sit at red lights constantly revving the engine just to hear the noise.

Check with the manufactures web site for specifications as to meeting the EPA Standards. Even on the Harley web site some of their aftermarket pipes meet the standard. In this area (Metro Detroit) they are getting strict.

There are a couple of cities around the Cleveland area that have regulations now. I know several northeastern towns are cracking down also. Some of the regulations read a specific decible level but some of the more recent writings I have seen say an exhaust without an EPA stamp in it. You should be able to check with Vance and Hines and see if their systems are EPA stamped or not.

Agree with Smitty here, if we ride them right chances are we will have few problems. That said, Daytona has chosen to ramp up the assault on the very loud , have seen the younger crowd hot dogging and getting in over there heads with tickets:D

Loud pipes are fine, obnoxiously loud pipes are not and eventually will effect all of us with unreasonable decipal restrictions. The old adage is still the best "use common sense and listen, if you think it's too loud IT IS"

On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB.

A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB.

A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB.

A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB.

Here are some common sounds and their decibel ratings:

150 Firecracker
120 Ambulance siren
110 Chain saw, Rock concert
105 Personal stereo system at maximum level
100 Wood shop, Snowmobile
95 Motorcycle with stock pipes
90 Power mower
85 Heavy city traffic
60 Normal conversation
40 Refrigerator humming
30 Whispered voice