free website stats program Loud pinging sound | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud pinging sound

Timman

I have a new 09 Road King Classic, bought it 8 weeks ago and have 7000KMs (4500 Miles) on her, never heard anything odd until today, when I speed up, or climb a steep hill from high way speed (65 Miles per hour) I here a loud pinging sound, not a spark knock but a loud pinging sound like rocks hitting the underside of the front fender. and at first that's what I was thinking it was but It does it every time I give it gas from crusing speed, I am hopping its a bad tank of gas, has any one else have his happen? Timman

Could be bad gas or it may be very lean and need added fuel too. Hope you are using a decent 93 octane fuel.

Of course you need make sure you have premium fuel but a few things out of the ordinary are Do you have a guardian bell on it and is it vibrating when you accelerate..... put some tape on it to see if this is it ..some shift levers and pads rattle under acceleration (mine does and it makes a pinging sound under acceleration) when you hear the noise take your heel and gently put it against your shifter to see if it goes away . Also take your heel and touch your shift linkage I have seen them rattle too...check the nuts that hold your exhaust on the motor and bike to be sure they are tight also check the muffler and heat sheild clamps to make sure they are tight (your heat sheilds can cause noise...Eliminate the simple things first before you think the worst.
Good luck Bro..

Thanks for answering, it only happens when I am in six gear and at highway speed 65 or so and it only happens when I give it some gas to pass a car or climb a steep hill with out gearing down to fifth. It is defiantly coming from the engine but it sounds like rocks hitting the underside of the front fender (very loud ping) ounce I plan off at about 80 its not their, I only here it when I try to speed up in six from 60 miles +, speeding up through all the other gears are fine, and I never heard it before until yesterday. The octane level of the premium gas around here (east coast of Canada) is 91, 87 for regular, but I always use premium. I did fill up last at a different than usual place so I am hopping that’s what’s wrong, although I am a little concerned. Timman

Sounds to me like you will have to down shift from 6th to 5th. 65 seems slow for 6th gear. I don't have a 6 speed so I am just guessing. The harley dealer told me when I bought mine that these motors do not like to be luged. So keep the rpms up and see what happens....

you need to downshift thats gonna be pinging they dont have enough umphhh at 65 in 6th not to lug it when rolling on to pass

65 in 6th is less than 2500 rpm's and a bit too low when geared down with lean fuel mixtures going up an incline too. Down shift and let it rev a bit.

6th should be above 65-70 on level ground.

Thanks again for all the imfo. Took a ride tonight with my younger brother who has a 09 Fatboy to get ride of my fuel, took it easy, I'll fill up after work tomorrow and try it out again and let you know what happens. Talked to the locals tonight at the hang out, and they all say to do a stage one and get a fuel management kit to be able to richen it up a bit. I do get accused of lugging it too much by the boys, but still, it never made that noise before.

Thanks again for all the imfo. Took a ride tonight with my younger brother who has a 09 Fatboy to get ride of my fuel, took it easy, I'll fill up after work tomorrow and try it out again and let you know what happens. Talked to the locals tonight at the hang out, and they all say to do a stage one and get a fuel management kit to be able to richen it up a bit. I do get accused of lugging it too much by the boys, but still, it never made that noise before.

agree with everyone here plus your locals ----- sounds like the "L.P.S." - lugging ping syndrome. downshift and gas her!!!! Add a few ounces of Sea Foam or a simular product to the tank before you fill back up with your 91 octane.

Back