free website stats program Loud Downshift | Harley Davidson Forums

Loud Downshift

szwick

Ok, this is my first Harley. Got a 2003 883. It seems to me like when I downshift the clutch is louder than normal. Is it normal for a Harley to downshift loud?

Ok, this is my first Harley. Got a 2003 883. It seems to me like when I downshift the clutch is louder than normal. Is it normal for a Harley to downshift loud?

My 2004 Sporty shift pedal is "notchy" especially when cold (allow 20-30 sec. of idle after starting) to allow time for oil to wet the shift forks and gear assemblies before shifting into first driving off. Also when down shifting, I usually do NOT use engine/trans gear braking on the street to save wear and tear on the clutch and running gear...brake pads are a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace over the long haul. :D

That is what I normally do and that is when I notice the loud shift. I didnt really think much about it until someone told me it sure is loud. My husband rides a Honda, yes a Honda, and I really never hear his.

Next time you are out somewhere Listen to other Harleys as they pass. If you hear them shift you will be surprised how loud they are. It's kind of a harley thing. My old Night train wouldn't even let you shift back down into first without a fight until you were under 20mph. You could get it there it just didn't want to and when it did it was loud.Check your fluids and if they are ok I think you will be fine. Most Harley transmissions are loud upshifting or downshifting.Thats just character. I wouldnt worry about it unless it doesn't want to shift at all

Thanks for the info. I wasnt too worried until he kept telling me it was loud. I think he is just jealous.

:DThanks for the info. I wasnt too worried until he kept telling me it was loud. I think he is just jealous.

Harley's have always been noisy when shifting. When I hear a quiet one, that's when I think there's a problem. My boss rides a V-Star (Poor, confused soul), and his is as quiet as a mouse. When you hear an HD shift, you are hearing "real" gears mesh together. Not cheap, pot-metal, sweat-shop rubbish that all of the others offer in there transmissions. I wouldn't trust any bike that has plastic fenders!

That is what I normally do and that is when I notice the loud shift. I didnt really think much about it until someone told me it sure is loud. My husband rides a Honda, yes a Honda, and I really never hear his.

A lot of the "noise" is actually Harley music...the notchy shifting has always been there given the large all metal mechanicals thru-out, and the "potato-potato" cadence is due to the unusual firing order and inherent unbalance of the V-Twin. :D

This uneven firing order of 270 degress rather than an easily suppressed 180 deg or 360 deg firing order like other "Metric" V-Twins , plus the "rocking couple vibration" due to the 45 deg V cylinder included angle, does not get suppressed by the use of offset crankpins, counterbalancer shaft or other tech tricks "Metric" companies use, adding to the vibration and inherent character of your Harley. :newsmile020:

All this contributes to the unique mechanical "Harley sound" the MoCo is trying to "patent". There have been steady technology improvements in the rubberized isolation engine mounts to the frame making them more ridable, and HD research does most improvements "masked from view." For example the Softail has the "look" of an old school Hardtail without rear shocks, but actually has the shocks out of sight under the bike isolating road bumps and jolts for a less punishing ride. Makes one want to get out and ride, rather than write about it. :s

Last edited:
As much as the sound of the engine, I love the sound of the gears engaging, specially when I first put it in gear. it gives me an intense buzz as I can feel the transmission meshing.
As Lorenzo Lamas (as Reno Raines) said to his partner who proudly shows him his Gold Wing: " If you can't hear it, it's not a motorcycle." or words to that effect.

Harley's have always been noisy when shifting. When I hear a quiet one, that's when I think there's a problem
My buddy has a RKC like mine that will shift into first quietly sometimes and when we swap bikes I think there is something wrong because I don't hear the big Clunk. ...Love that noise and wouldn't change it if I could.:s

Back