free website stats program Lost most electric | Harley Davidson Forums

Lost most electric

khhayes

I have a 2002 Fatboy. I turned on the ignition switch and the headlights and everything came on. Pressed the start button and everything went dead except the speedometer light and the fuel pump. Battery is charged, fuses are ok, cables are tight. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Check the frame ground ,this is often overlooked when checking cables

Cables tight don't mean much, remove them wire brush then and replace them then.

It's the electrical contact that matters and being an 02, it's ready to be cleaned.

If you have a volt meter you can diagnose it. The battery should be at 12.6 volts to be at 100%. this is before charging. If not charge it up then wait 12hours and recheck. If it drops below 12 volts then its junk. You can do a VOLTAGE DROP test, take the meter and put one end on the battery pos. then the other to the starter pos. wire. crank the engine and watch the meter. It should read (0). If it reads any voltage that is what you are loosing through your wiring and connections. We call it VD, not good! Hope this helps :(

Mine did that and the main circuit breaker was tripping due to a bad battery. It was reading good voltage but would deliver the current needed. new Battery and everything is fine.

Back