free website stats program Loss of Torque with Free flowing exhausts | Harley Davidson Forums

Loss of Torque with Free flowing exhausts

Hello All,
I've just done my first 1000 miles, 2 up, on my new 2010 NRS, the engine is superb and I've yet to go over the 7000rpm mark yet.
The suspension reminded me of riding a Norton commando 25 years ago, seesawing and oscillating all over the place, especially on long sweeping bends, I found the front to be far too soft for the power and weight of the bike, but I have Ohlins front and rear shocks on order which should sort out the suspension.

I am now thinking about ordering the TAB performance exhaust slip ons as I think they look really good on the NSR, sound good also on the u-tube video, but on reading last years posts on the exhaust issues, free flowing exhausts were discussed and a warning of loss of torque on the bottom end will result after fitting these slip ons.
Can any of you elaborate a little on free flowing exhausts and loss of bottom end torque.

Thanks

Bulldog

My experience with fitting fitting my vrod with various slipons ,with out using some kind of fuel management device is that it is hard to beat the stock mufflers when it comes to overall torque through out the rpm range,the draw back on stock mufflers is the sheer weight of the mufflers throw the balance of the NRS off and if you are looking for sound well stock OEM mufflers speak for themselfs. Now if you want to due a stage 1 upgrade with out any lose of HP and TQ, and a nice sound that is not on the top of the DB loudness level but loud enough. Here is a very low cost wey to go and you will get a 6-8 hp and TQ gain ,with no running issues ,like decel pop or lag . Super trapp sells what are called Fat Shots they come in Black or Chrome, the retail in the 400- 500 us dollor range, But you dont need to spend all that money , You can go online to Summit Racing order 2 Super Trapp S/C Mufflers with 2'' 1/4 inlet with 4'' outlet they are 16.5 inches long ,So they show off that Fat tire and rim ,and they knock alot of weight off and the bike is more balenced,they also come with 12 diffuser disks for ea. these are the black ones they also come in SS and chrome, they cost about 130.00 US each for black. But check my info here it was a couple of years ago when I purchased these so I could be off a bit with the inlet size and cost,with no fuel management use 8 or 9 disks your gains will be 6 hp and add SE highflow air filter and you will get about 8 hp gain with no issues and a vrod that will sound and run nice ,I have been using these on my Vrod for almost 3 years now , almost 2 years with a Zippers thundermax w/autotune ofcourse I am running more disks 13 in each muffler,but have had zero problems with this setup with the running or the quality of these mufflers with or without fuel management.

I've been away on a 2 day ride,seemed to start pouring down rain everytime I sat on the bike, just back, thanks for the replies guys, your knowledge, advice and tips are appreciated.
Thats a comprehensive reply there Crocker, I'll look into this, thanks again.

Bulldog

Go with the look and sound of what you want, but do consider TFI fueler or similar, it will just make that Stage I an easier transition as you modify the induction (A/C) and exhaust system. Opening either or both ends simply means you should not ignore what is happening in the middle, which is where the horsepower and torque is made. Enjoy the mods...:s

Back