free website stats program Loss of Throttle and Radio - 2009 Street Glide | Harley Davidson Forums

Loss of Throttle and Radio - 2009 Street Glide

playhard67

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed, I tried searching the forum and self help tips and could not find anything.

Here's the backstory: I installed a hitch and wiring this past Saturday. I used the wiring diagram in the Service Manual and a Test Light to find the right corresponding wires. I purchased and installed the 5 into 4 wire conversion. I used electrical wire splicers and connected the wires directly to OEM wiring under the seat (as the wires enter into the rear fender). Everything (blinkers, brake light, etc.) worked as it should on the trailer. I went on a 360 mile trip through Skyline Drive with the trailer attached on Sunday and Monday.

After about 150 miles, all of a sudden I lost the throttle. The bike remained idling in a low idle, but the throttle did not respond at all. After about 10 seconds the throttle came back to operational use and worked correctly. An Error Code did not show up on the dash. I continued on.

The next day, the same thing happened again, but I also lost power to the radio (the display turned off). I was using my IPOD and the song on the IPOD was uniterupted and continued to play once the power came back on and the throttle function returned.

In the 360 mile trip, I lost power to the radio 5 times, and throttle function 3 times. Not always together or at the same time. But, most of the time these occured when I went over a bump such as a bridge transition, railroad tracks, or a sewer lid.

Today, I disconnected the trailer wiring I spliced in and put electrical tape over each individual wire. Afterwards I went for a ride...and I lost the radio four times in a five mile period. Again, each time occured when I intentionally went over a sewer lid to test it.

Help...any ideas why this is occuring, or what can be done to correct it. Sorry this post is so long, I wanted to give as much detail as possible to eliminate any confusion.

Thank you.

OK...I have no garage..so the bike is kept 2 miles away in storage. Based on comments above, I had to go there and confirm my suspicions. Yes, I had originally tried to attach the ground wire for the trailer wiring to a bolt that was already used for ground. I loosened it, but it was too much of a (edit) and so i found another easier bolt to use for the ground. I could have sworn I tightened the first nut that I tried to use...but, i just checked and it was loose. It had two separate wires attached to it for ground (perhaps throttle and radio). So, I tightened the nut. I can't believe I left it loose.

THANK YOU so much Bud White and Biglew55 for your help in jarring my memory. This is a great site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back