free website stats program Losing rear wheel weights | Harley Davidson Forums

Losing rear wheel weights

gene

Has anybody had any issues with losing weights. i get about 150 miles and the weight comes off and when it does the bike vibrates something fierce. It's been into the local HD shop, well going in again so this makes it 3 times for this problem, the bike has always had issues with handling since new. also should the the rear tire track off from the front mine sits and inch to the right of my front, according to the shop it's normal, i just no right now i won't run it because the last time out when the weight went i was in the mountains with wife and just about killed us, so far the shop i got it from has the attitude as oh well

Probably poor prep before installing the weight, didn't clean the rim properly. Make note of the exact position on the wheel even if you have to take a pic of the wheel and the amount of weight so you can replace it if you loose it again. Clean the rim with a solvent and then alcohol to remove any residue form a solvent. Can't recommend which one because I don't know which wheels you have.

You have spokes? with crimp on weights on your soft tail?

I have a solid rim, the weights are actaully sticking to the rims, well most of the time they have split apart from the tape that is being used, they have been put on using different cleaners, this last time they said it had to cure for 24 hours, which it did, the weights stuck to the rim but split apart from the paper this time, they even thought they was using old weights, bought new ones, same thing, i had spoke on the front ended up putting aluminum on it and new tire had alot of bounce in it,

Very possible from what you say that the wheel cleaner you are using is causing the problem. I've seen this before depending on the cleaner used. You can remove the tape on the weights and use 3M automotive attachment tape in it's place (double sided sticky tape) available in automotive body supply houses. It will not separate like the weight tape that is used. Heat it up with a blow drier after application and it will be there till you remove it. Contour the weight to the shape of the rim then apply it.

I have recommended a few times the use of Dyna Beads. You pour the beads into the tire by way of valve stem. I am very satisfied with the beads and they don't fall off. They are reuseable and the beads won't cost as much as a tire balance.

Glider have you heard of anyone using a product similiar to crazy glue to hold the weights down.

Is this a good or bad idea. I cant think of a down side to using it

I use RIDE ON tire protection system. It will seal tire if it get a leak and it helps to balance tire and dampen vibration and make for a smooth ride . I have been using this stuff for a couple of months and I like it and IMO, it works.
From their web site:
Ride-On | Tire Protection System

Ride-On is designed to actually help hydrodynamically balance tires at highway speeds. Once installed in a tire, it will actually act to dampen vibrations for the life of a tire so you do not need periodic rebalancing. Although we don’t condone speeding, our dealers and customers comment that their bikes actually run smoother at speeds as high as 150 mph. Ride-On should be installed in tires and wheels that have been professionally mounted and balanced

Although I have never used this product , I have used several other products of a similiar nature in my car tire and found them unsatisfactory.

All they did was slow down the leak. Still went flat after 8 hrs. I remember my tire mechanic complaining about the cleanup after putting on the new tires.

After waiting 2 weeks for my HD dealer to mount my new EXPENSIVE Metezler tires, I have no intention of filling them up with goop or marbles.

No disrespect to Kenmol or Vibratinharley, but I am not convinced.

Glider have you heard of anyone using a product similiar to crazy glue to hold the weights down.

Is this a good or bad idea. I cant think of a down side to using it

Don't think it would work well for that application. The double sided 3M tape is about the best.

I also agree with not using the tire additives. If you use them, most tire changers will not change a tire once they realize it is in the tire.

thanks everyone for all the input, this is my first Harley and since owning it i've just had these handling issues since day one, got the front done now it went to the back.

Glider, been reading this forum for awhile and find it so far the best on here i've learned alot and will definitly try the 3 m tape, use it on my cars so i no it was really good.

now the other question what about my tracking, i did the lining up my rear tire withthe front using the 8 foot flourescent bulbs and that's how i figured it was off an inch, is this normal?

Back