free website stats program loose pushrod tubes | Harley Davidson Forums

loose pushrod tubes

glimmerman

had new cam shoes installed earlier this year on the 01 rk. haven't ridden it too much since. been on the ultra. took it out yesterday and noticed some oil at the base of the tubes on the rear cyl. tube is slightly loose. now before i get myself into a can of worms, what is the proper way to tighten this up? do i roll the center sleeve to lengthen it and if so which way? don't want to go the wrong way and have problems here.

they are just spring loaded they cant be tightened. if there is a problem the rocker support has to be removed to get the pushrod out.

so this isn't a case of righty-tighty, lefty-loosey with a left and right hand thread. looks like more than a simple fix. can i replace these tubes w/ a factory 1 pc w/o pulling the cyl. head? never had the rocker boxes off myself but did have mist free seals installed. now doing it myself after finding bad work.

Were the push rod tube o-rings replaced. If you have don't have quick install push rods, then yes, it is more than a simple fix.

Always use new gaskets and some times the tubes get a bit cocked, try recentering the tubes and lap them against the bottom gasket:s

so this isn't a case of righty-tighty, lefty-loosey with a left and right hand thread. looks like more than a simple fix. can i replace these tubes w/ a factory 1 pc w/o pulling the cyl. head? never had the rocker boxes off myself but did have mist free seals installed. now doing it myself after finding bad work.

Look at the top of the tube in question... It is Spring loaded and has a Keeper that fits ON TOP of the center band you said righty tightE about.. It holds the Keeper that has the little out metal split that is easy to POP off after load is removed with a screw-driver into fin area the press downward on the Band to UN-Spring the clip.... I also just Pop out the upper Clip with a screw-driver in the slotted place in that clip... either way works.

IF the upper tube Doesn't have an "0" ring on the TOP head or Bottom of the tube into the lifter area ,,,, that is the problem.... If you have fully adjustable push rods ,,,, They can be removed and ck to see if ALL the "0" rings and washer and spring were properly placed... One missing "0" ring WILL cause the looseness you may have..... The Tubes WILL turn a little but Not move around as LOOSE..

Is this tube any LOOSER than the others feel???

It might be just Needed to be moved around and reset the Clip ... Easy enough to try BEFORE you take it apart.

signed....BUBBIE

Like Bubbie said above. Take off the keeper, pull the spring cover up and check that there is an o-ring in there. Spray the spring and inside of the spring cover with penetrating oil. Collapse the tube down from the head and see if there is an o-ring up in the head. Just feel up there with your pinky. You can feel it easily.

Finally, lift the lower tube up out of the lifter cover and see if there is an o-ring down in there. If all the o-rings are in there respective places, then carefully elongate all the tubes to there places being careful not to mess up the o-rings. Reinstall the keeper (depress the spring cover until you can snap in the keeper). Rotate the tube back and forth gently by holding the keeper compressed against the top of the tube and also grabbing the bottom of the tube in your fingers. This is just to try to ensure that everything is well seated. Clean up the area well with soap and water and let it dry.

Check your oil level and take the bike for a ride to see if that has it. If not, and you do NOT have adjustable pushrods, then the choice is yours about whether to live with a little mess, or invest in some adjustable pushrods. Do NOT try to save the one piece pushrods by taking off the rocker boxes to fix this. You can introduce a bunch more problems trying to fix a little oil leak.

TQ

i can see the o ring in the bottom of the tube at the junction where the base is. this is where i'm getting oil. its the ouside tube on the rear cylinder. since the heads didn't come off, i suspect (bad thing here is to assume) that adjustable push rods were installed. have to dig out my receipt. if the o ring isn't sealing then i have to see if it can be made to seat a little better. they all wiggle about the same so i guess its a bad o ring.

i can see the o ring in the bottom of the tube at the junction where the base is. this is where i'm getting oil. its the ouside tube on the rear cylinder. since the heads didn't come off, i suspect (bad thing here is to assume) that adjustable push rods were installed. have to dig out my receipt. if the o ring isn't sealing then i have to see if it can be made to seat a little better. they all wiggle about the same so i guess its a bad o ring.

If they installed BOTH the inner and the outer tensioners, they would have to pull the cam support plate. There would be no way to do this (that I know of) with the rods still in (although they could have rigged a way to hold up the lifers so they wouldn't have to disturb that - but why, too easy on the TC). So if they did not disturb the top end, there must be adjustables in there. You should be good to go with just a new set of o-rings all around (I would do them all).

TQ

Last edited:
Back