free website stats program loose pos battery cable | Harley Davidson Forums

loose pos battery cable

gator508

Experienced Member
Went for a putt yesterday to a local watering hole, bike ran great on the way there. After lunch went out to start it.....no power at all....strange! Well I remembered when I had my 1200 the pos cable on the battery had looosened up same symptoms. So off comes the seat and sure enough the pos cable was not as tight as should be, tightened the sucker, tested, got power, put the seat back on and off we go, maybe a 10 minute job if that, but somewhat embarrassed that my ride was down and people leaving the place were staring and asking questions "what's wrong with your ride man"

So the question is,, does anyone used any type of thread locker on the cables or is there some other trick to keep them tight. Thanks!

Went for a putt yesterday to a local watering hole, bike ran great on the way there. After lunch went out to start it.....no power at all....strange! Well I remembered when I had my 1200 the pos cable on the battery had looosened up same symptoms. So off comes the seat and sure enough the pos cable was not as tight as should be, tightened the sucker, tested, got power, put the seat back on and off we go, maybe a 10 minute job if that, but somewhat embarrassed that my ride was down and people leaving the place were staring and asking questions "what's wrong with your ride man"

So the question is,, does anyone used any type of thread locker on the cables or is there some other trick to keep them tight. Thanks!

'don't think thread locker works at the battery, just clean and tighten it...tight.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

I would never use thread locker on any electrical connections, especially on the threads.

More than likely, the battery terminals were not tight to start with or the soft lead terminal squeezed over time and just needed to be re-tighten.

Eleft, Hoop,

Thanks guys, I didn't think there was much to be done besides tighten it up really well. I think the cable connection could be better designed, just an alloy bolt of sorts with a phillips cross hatch on the head.

Make it a part of the monthly PM on your bike to check it along with other things you normally check. Don't take but a minute.

I thought you were going to get a infraction for your thread title. Glad it was simple.

I thought you were going to get a infraction for your thread title. Glad it was simple.

:lolrolling I was right there with ya at first !!!!!! Thought - OOHH NO , here we go!!! :newsmile030: Read the post --- OH ,OK . ( maybe should have added a T on the word!! hahahahhahahhaha!!!)

The battery bolts could be a better design IMO and why Metric with a Phillips head? Clean and tight they have been known to vibrate loose:s

Joe, good idea, I was thinking od putting it on the check out list. Jack,, gotta agreee with you, the design IMO, leaves a lot to be desired.

Guys, ha-ha-ha, I guess I left the "t" out

Eleft, Hoop,

Thanks guys, I didn't think there was much to be done besides tighten it up really well. I think the cable connection could be better designed, just an alloy bolt of sorts with a phillips cross hatch on the head.

My bolt has a 10mm hex head in addition to the phillips slots.

Not much room to get a wrench on it and no way to to use the slots.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Back