free website stats program Loose feeling | Harley Davidson Forums

Loose feeling

Redfish-Joe

This is my second RG. My first was an 08. Rock solid on the road. My 11 feels loose. Adjusted the neck bearings, fall away is at 1.5. New tires, proper inflation, dyna bead balanced. Gonna check the torque on the swing arm tomorrow and the rear tire alignment.

Anyone else have this feeling with their bike? What else do I need to check?

This is my second RG. My first was an 08. Rock solid on the road. My 11 feels loose. Adjusted the neck bearings, fall away is at 1.5. New tires, proper inflation, dyna bead balanced. Gonna check the torque on the swing arm tomorrow and the rear tire alignment.

Anyone else have this feeling with their bike? What else do I need to check?

Do you mean it wanders on the road or rear doesn't follow the front? Wheel bearings?

I would start with checking the torque on the axles then the wheel bearings as well as alignment

Brian

I would continue with checking front motor mount and the engine stabilizers. I am not familiar with the post 2009 design, but AFAIK it is the same as the older albeit with improved chassis stiffness...
The fall-away of 1.5 sounds too little to me, are you sure you're not feeling a too tight neck bearing? On mine, if adjusted too tight I get a 'stiff' feeling and it feels like she wants to tilt left or right when riding in a straight line (difficult to explain the feeling...).

I would continue with checking front motor mount and the engine stabilizers. I am not familiar with the post 2009 design, but AFAIK it is the same as the older albeit with improved chassis stiffness...
The fall-away of 1.5 sounds too little to me, are you sure you're not feeling a too tight neck bearing? On mine, if adjusted too tight I get a 'stiff' feeling and it feels like she wants to tilt left or right when riding in a straight line (difficult to explain the feeling...).

Hands off she tracks straight. Feels like the rearend is a little loose.

Axel torque, wheel bearings or maybe a bad tire. I had a set of tires on a corvette that the layers became delaminated and it squirmed all over the road. Turned out to be a manuf. defect and Firestone replaced them all.

Axel torque, wheel bearings or maybe a bad tire. I had a set of tires on a corvette that the layers became delaminated and it squirmed all over the road. Turned out to be a manuf. defect and Firestone replaced them all.

Don it has done this since day one. I wrote it off at first as me just getting use to the 18" tire in front and the wide tire in the rear. But there is new tires front and rear.

It isn't really that bad, but like I said the 08 was rock solid on the road. Anyway gonna check out some stuff today and see what I see.

What tire pressure do they say to run? I rode a custom softail with a 300 rear and the tire pressure was 24lb and it felt a little squirrely.

I think I found the culprit. The left side swing arm nut went a complete round before torque was hit (55 / 66 went with 60) and the right side was 1 1/2 rounds! Haven't ridden it yet but had GOT to be better!

Don I run max recommended sidewall pressure. 36 front I think and 40 rear.

Sounds like you have found the culpret. Nice work Joe!!! Hard to believe it got lose by itself, don't dealerships check anything? Makes you wonder what dealer prep is for.

Back