free website stats program Looking to lower my 05 sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking to lower my 05 sportster

shortster58

Hi everyone

new to this forum but not riding i just pick up an 05 sporty with a little under 4000 miles on it for a real good price.not a tall guy i stand 5'2 would like to drop the bike a little . my question is has any one used or have on there bike this BURLY KIT.i know i could get a set of shorter progressive shocks used them on my other bikes . but i was looking at this kit wanted to get some feed back on it ....

If they change the angle of the shocks it could give you a harsher ride.

What DON said the bike will not handle good you will loose the factory geometry

I put the Burley kit on my wife's Nightster and it lowered the rear 1" and the front 1", the shocks are 10.5' long.
I am 5'10" and I can ride it with no problem other than the mid controls bother me(would switch to forward controls if it were mine). My wife is 5'0".:bigsmiley12:

Having lowered a few bikes I would change the seat and try thicker soled boots now, The lowered bikes tend to pogo in the corners and you loose rebound in the front and rear JMO

MY WIFE IS 5FT 1/2IN and has an 05 883c I got on fleabay bought a two piece seat the solo seats are a bit lower profile to start with. (solo seat with passenger pillion) and pulled the vinyl cover off and took a 8in razor and shaved the seat down and narrowed it by a in on each side (had to do some fabricating on the seat pan) she went to the boot store and found a thicker soled boot and all is good . she has plenty of standup room and still gets a comfotable ride. I put a lowering kit like you mentioned on a 06 rdking and it lost its ride and handling. put it back to original and found a lower profile seat that still gives me a nice ride. dont waiste your money on the lowering blocks. good luck.

Hi everyone

new to this forum but not riding i just pick up an 05 sporty with a little under 4000 miles on it for a real good price.not a tall guy i stand 5'2 would like to drop the bike a little . my question is has any one used or have on there bike this BURLY KIT.i know i could get a set of shorter progressive shocks used them on my other bikes . but i was looking at this kit wanted to get some feed back on it ....

hi, i have the burly slammer kit and love it. they look great and perform really well. of course they are alot stiffer than stock so get your back ready but they have never bottomed out and thats with them on the softest setting. and with the roads here in ri thats saying alot.

Lang

hi! i am new here, and just puchased a 2005 883l. i have the opposite question> i want to raise the bike up, to the standard height. i have severe arhitis in my hips and back, and have trouble with the short distance from the seat to the pegs. is the only diff between an l and standard the length of the shocks and the seat padding? are the front forks shorter too?
thank you all for any help you can give me.

Back