free website stats program Looking to add Hitch and Trailer on my Limited | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking to add Hitch and Trailer on my Limited

rcroff

I am beginning to look for a trailer to pull and install a hitch on my 2012 Limited. Any info on a trailer would be a big help along with a hitch recommendation

I can't recommend a hitch or trailer, but will advise you to ask your dealer his position on your warranty with a hitch. I've read many times that some dealers will not honor warranty on a bike with a hitch. Yes, it violates the Magnason Moss act., but the dealer and HD have a lot more money than you do for a fight.

Ask the dealer before anything is done, my dealer said ok but make sure warranty work come's to them. That being said I have pulled a trailer ( no longer pull one now ) I pulled a Bushtec and never had a problem even did the Dragon with it. I used a Rivco hitch they are well made and solid. I don't camp as much anymore and have learned how to pack for extended trips, now no worries about a trailer parking or storing it.

Ask the dealer before anything is done, my dealer said ok but make sure warranty work come's to them. That being said I have pulled a trailer ( no longer pull one now ) I pulled a Bushtec and never had a problem even did the Dragon with it. I used a Rivco hitch they are well made and solid. I don't camp as much anymore and have learned how to pack for extended trips, now no worries about a trailer parking or storing it.

Like my service writer told me. He didn't have a problem with my hitch / trailer, but if a MOCO rep was in the shop he may not have the same opinion.

I was in our dealership and the MOCO rep was there. The subject of trailers came up.
He said that when he spots a bike with a trailer, he will record the VIN.
You can guess what they do with the VIN....

I talked to some travelers who went on some long rides. Couple from NH traveled to CA and back. Just had the two hard saddle bags that came with the bike. Not even a T-bag.

Another couple came in with their bikes. Ultra and Heritage. Been on the road since middle of July and won't get home until Oct.
12,000 miles so far.
(A dream vaction for me.)
Just had T-bags and the bags that came with the bikes. No tent or sleeping bags.
Motels only. (Nice way to travel.)

Neither set of riders needed a trailer.

I made a 2,000 mile trip to CA and packed way too much stuff on my Ultra. I learned from my ride and checking other riders that I could get along with less. Gave up the idea of needing a trailer.

I never pulled a trailer because I can carry everything I need on the bike when on a trip. To me pulling a trailer would take the fun out of riding.

I never pulled a trailer because I can carry everything I need on the bike when on a trip. To me pulling a trailer would take the fun out of riding.
I'm with you man but when you see what can fold out of some of these trailers it is like a magic trick....many really very efficient designs out there.

I wont do it again but we spent 28 days and 6800 miles pulling a trailer. Only time I knew it was there was starting and stopping. Did loose some on fuel mileage but not much. We carried camping gear and such. Found out my old bones don't care for sleeping outdoors anymore. Motels, hot showers and TV. The only way to travel...:p:p

I pulled a small tent trailer with my bikes for years...never had a problem. I have a hitch on my /09 ultra and have pulled my Leesure Lite tent trailer with it and again have had no problems. I've used the hitch made by Dauntless Motors out of Enumclaw,Wa on two bikes and found them to be very well made. As to warranty issues...well, you may have a problem there as I guess it's up to the individual dealer although HD is definitely against pulling a trailer. I'm probably wrong, but I thought that warranty covereage could only be denied if it could be proven that the modification made to your bike (ie: trailer hitch) caused the particular problem.

Back