free website stats program Looking for Chicago area rides | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking for Chicago area rides

rick1062

I am interested in any good rides to take out of Chicago area. I will be there in mid July for my son’s graduation from Boot Camp at the Naval Training academy.

My wife and I are planning on renting a Harley each and see some of the area. Probably two days, but maybe just a day and overnight.

We have never been to that part of the country and are really looking forward to seeing some sights.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

:p

I agree..come to Milwaukee and see the museum. Milwaukee Harley is a great dealership to visit and is not far from the Harley plants. If I am free I will offer my guiding services. If its country that you want to ride the southern kettle moraine area is a nice area to ride. The town of Eagle is a great place to stop and rest and maybe have lunch.

Thanks for the couple of quick replies already.

I agree the Museum, Plant and Milwaukee HD are musts for us to see. But we may just drive up there in the car for that since it isn’t far from the Great Lakes Navy Training center. I think I would rather use up my motorcycle rental time with more riding and seeing the country.

Here is a bit more info so you can see what we are thinking about. We will probably rent the bikes on weekdays due to less traffic, once we are out of town, and less expensive to rent. We will probably pick up the bikes around 10:00 on Wed and return at 10:00 Thur. So a nice 200-300 mile ride on Wed with some good country, picture stops, lunch break and butt stops would be great. Then we can stay overnight somewhere and return the bikes on Thur am.

Thanks again for the help.

too bad you dont keep them till fri morning, visit the HD museum thur and stay for thier bike night. bikes in and out from around 5-9 pm.

Not too many dealers rent bikes, but I rented my first bike from Michigan City HD, they are only 1 hour SE of Chicago in Indiana. From there you can head up into MI, Hwy 12 E is a nice ride, or head into the wine country, or up the lake shore and some great beaches and towns.

I agree..come to Milwaukee and see the museum. Milwaukee Harley is a great dealership to visit and is not far from the Harley plants. If I am free I will offer my guiding services. If its country that you want to ride the southern kettle moraine area is a nice area to ride. The town of Eagle is a great place to stop and rest and maybe have lunch.

Thanks for the info and offer Sharpscuba.
Are you familiar with this ride? What is your opinion?

Anyone else in the local area know this ride?

Summer on the Rivers: Illinois Motorcycle Rides

Thanks for your help.

I have ridden the kettle moraine area from the start to finish many times. The senic route goes all the way up to Elkart Lake. It is a beautiful ride through hills and farmland cut by the glaciers. Hals harley in New Berlin rents out bikes and is centrally located to all the dealers and factories. It is not far at all to the museum and a quick hop on the freeway will get you out to the senic road up to northern kettle moraine. I agree with doing this during the week day. On a hot summer weekend the kettles will have a couple hundred or so bikes coming or going.All in all it is a few hundred miles give or take as to what your riding style is. Milwaukee Harley is another place to rent and they are right by the freeway just between the plants on Capital and the falls. Chad is the owner and is a great guy. I am sure that he would give you a great deal. I ride the senic trail all the time in fact I will be doing it again today as I live very close. Good luck in whatever you choose. Ride safe!

I have ridden the kettle moraine area from the start to finish many times. The senic route goes all the way up to Elkart Lake. It is a beautiful ride through hills and farmland cut by the glaciers.

Sharpscuba, This will probably sound a bit dense, but having never been in your part of the country I am a bit lost. What or where is the kettle, or kettle moraine? I have found only a little info on it and they are just talking about a State Park. Is there a map of it or something like that?

thanks,:small3d023:

Back