free website stats program Looking at a 2004 FLHRS | Harley Davidson Forums

Looking at a 2004 FLHRS

CharlesD

I am looking at a 2004 FLHRS, RKC. At this time I ride a 2009 Yamaha Vstar 1300. What are the good and or bad things about the RKC if any.
The only experience That I have with HD is renting Heritages in Monteray Cali, great riding.

Some consider the Road King the "coolest" of the touring models. The Heritage you have ridden is a softail; hard mounted motor with crank shaft counter balance mechanism to smooth out the crank vibration that is inherent with an odd firing, 45*, vtwin motor; often referred to as the "B" motor.

On the other hand, the touring model motors are rubber mounted, no crank shaft counter balancers and are often referred to as the "A" motor.

The difference you will notice between the two is that at idle, the "A" motor is going to move around in the frame; however, once off idle and up to cruise rpms, the "A" motor is smooth as butter. On the other hand, the "B" motor will not move around in the frame at idle but at cruise, say 70mph, there is a noticeable "buzz" in the handle bars and foot pegs. Some softails will buzz more than others but you won't notice the buzz until the end of a 500 mile day.

Can't say anything bad about a Road King. You should have a dealer run the VIN through the computer; any work done at a dealer will show up. Cam chain tensioners could be a concern but those can be changed and upgraded cost effectively and worth doing.

Welcome to the forum from Suwannee. You didn't mention the mileage on the RK or the overall condition. As Dolt pointed out the cam chain tensioner would be a concern if they haven't been replaced. You will sit a little higher on the RK than you did on the Heritage. What type of deal are they offering you?

The Roadking is an excellent Choice IMO, it evolved out of the FLHS Electra Glide Sport

If you are looking at buying a used '04 it should be pretty trouble free. Might be a good idea to have a dealer do a safety check on it, particularly if its high mileage, then factor the findings into the price. If its a dealer bike they should have already done this and you can ask to see the tech report. In particular be aware of the cam drive chain tensioners. They should be replaced, or at least inspected every 20k miles because they have a tendency to wear fast in pre '07 bikes.
I have an '04 FLHTCI, which is the same basic touring drivetrain and frame. It has been pretty trouble free for about 50k miles.

Have had many other bikes to include sport and touring like Yamaha, Honda, Triumph and HD FLHX. By far my fave is my current ride 14 FLHR. A versatile scooter. As mentioned already have the vin run to check service records.

Back