free website stats program Locktite | Harley Davidson Forums

Locktite

dmacy

Should I use Locktite blue for all primary cover cap screws as well as other cap screws and bolts? Are there any issues as far as removal or thread damage in aluminum?
Thanks
Dave

Even after all these years I still put my screws into a piece of cardboard that loosly matches the shape of the side cover. There are different lengths of screws and that way you can always be sure the screws are going back in the right hole. Especially helpful if there is a lag time before the cover goes back on. Aluminum is very unforgiving so if the screw doesn't start easily start over as many times as it takes. I've never used loctite on my primariy covers but don't think it would hurt, I think with blind holes I would use a light application.

I use anti-sieze on the primary screws,on just about everything else I use blue locktite

Even after all these years I still put my screws into a piece of cardboard that loosly matches the shape of the side cover. There are different lengths of screws and that way you can always be sure the screws are going back in the right hole. Especially helpful if there is a lag time before the cover goes back on. Aluminum is very unforgiving so if the screw doesn't start easily start over as many times as it takes. I've never used loctite on my primariy covers but don't think it would hurt, I think with blind holes I would use a light application.

Very good Old school tech tips here Steve07 has the right idea about anti sieze, and Webbtron has an idea we have been using for years:s

I tend to draw the cover on with pencil and stick a hole for each bolt and put it straight in as it comes off the bike i have some large plastic boxes with lids that i put the parts in and i pull the card out for the area that is being reassembled a few minuts in prep can save a lot of time later

Brian

A few days ago I grabbed a block of stryofoam I think it was some mail order frozen food. Worked so well I couldn't throw it way.......yet :0)

Thanks for all the ideas. Locktite blue is meant to be removed but will hold a faster from loosening up from vibration. Something that is removed and reinstalled probably should have anti-seize on it just because of the different types of metal. A steel bolt in an aluminum housing is not a good combination. I don't want to have any problems. I don't know if anti-seize prohibits oxidation but it would be nice to know. Maybe I am being to concerned but I don't want any future problems. Thanks to all for the replies.
Dave

Great Tip(s). Keep them coming!:)

Antiseize is fine, or a bit of sealer...just do not want dry steel + aluminum w/ just a little H20 (a small chemical battery and corrosion will occur). No loctite, JMO as the cover fasteners are hard enough to get out if they have been on awhile, also wipe the gasket contact surfaces dry , the gasket as well, so things don't "bake" together also, using all thread as guide pins to line it up is a good tip discussed awhile back also.:D

I use Antiseize on my Tac and Speedo cables, have for years. Just a light coating. Use to use graphite but all that did was send be back to the store for a longer cable. Again net sure if the new bikes even have cables any more, I would think they have something with a wire attached. Antiseize is great stuff, my can must be 20 years old, last forever.

I use Antiseize on my Tac and Speedo cables, have for years. Just a light coating. Use to use graphite but all that did was send be back to the store for a longer cable. Again net sure if the new bikes even have cables any more, I would think they have something with a wire attached. Antiseize is great stuff, my can must be 20 years old, last forever.

95 and later in most models have the electronic speedo

Brian

Back