free website stats program Locks for Detachables | Harley Davidson Forums

Locks for Detachables

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I had an earlier thread about whether everyone thought locks for detachable items was a good idea. Seemed to run about 2 to 1 against the necessity for locks. I could write a thousand words about how honest and trustworthy the "biker" community is but in today's economic environment, I still think I'm going to invest in some locks.

HD sells them individually or in a set of two. Didn't appear to be much of a cost savings by getting the pair. Would you guys get the pair and just put one on each detachable (tour pack and backrest for me) or spend the extra money to actually put two on each detachable?

I'm pretty sure which way I'm going to go but I value everyone's opinions here more than I can express!

Dr. even though I voted against it,my wife got me going about how we always travel with my laptop and most of our luggage in the tourpack and we leave the bike for hours to hike in the mountains.So yesterday when I dropped my bike off for a warranty repair (minor) I bought a pair. I'm glad I did though because they handed me a Harley travel BBQ with a travel bag and utensils.They told me it was customer appreciation!:D

Doc.,
I am sure everyone in the biker community is honest, upstanding and all that. But when you leave something in front of a restaurant, bar, motel or your house you are not leaving it in the middle of bikefest. You also have to worry about the kid walking around that is literally looking for something to steal, just curious to see if he can do it, or just how fast you can run.
Locks are there to deter theft not prevent it.
I say the more locks the better so long as you don't start to look like a hardware store on wheels.
I live in a pretty safe area, but when I park my work truck, I chain my tool boxes up, I lock the doors, I turn on the alarm and leave the exterior garage lights on all night just to deter theft.
As you know, I do not yet have a bike to lock, but when I do I will install locks for when I am in public. I am not paranoid, just careful. Just my thoughts, lock it up.

I probably wasn't clear enough in my OP. I'm not trying to start another thread about whether locks are a good idea. I'm trying to determine if you would use a lock on each side - in other words, two locks per detachable item. Or, would one lock on each detachable item be enough in your opinion?

I went with the 2-pack because they offered me a 20% discount and no tax and they are a nice setup you can't tell that it is a lock

The lock question is one of personal comfort. If you are comfortable with leaving something valuable "unguarded" in the hopes that everyone will respect that...so be it. But, if you plan on the side of caution and add locks..all is well if that makes YOU comfortable. As far as "how fast I can run, I have only this to say....in 1967 I ran 100 yards in 10 seconds....now, I can't run 10 seconds. I have the locks.... makes me comfortable

all this talk of locks dont you guys have guns? mind surpose the bad guy's have bigger guns and a lock is cheap - just a thought from a gun shy country

Only the bad guys are allowed to carry here, Rob!:mgun

Yes I put them both on the tourpack for now, when I get the detachable back rest I will take one off and put it on the backrest I kept the other latches and it only takes a few minutes to change over

Never bothered to lock anything. Went to an event, and put my PRESCRIPTION glasses on my handlebars. Of course when we came out they were gone. You know some jerk grabbed them and when he put them on and couldn't see he tossed them. 300 bucks gone. Locks on everything!

Back