free website stats program Liquid Gasket | Harley Davidson Forums

Liquid Gasket

brownfoxx1

is it worth the risk? go to NAPA and buy some gasket material and make your oun. with a new gasket on top. then next time you will have a gasket that can be re-used.
but unless the two mateing surfaces are CNC smooth. i wouldn't chance it.
just my thoughts

Going to change my outer primary cover,anybody know a reason I shouldnt use a liquid,"form a gasket" type thing,instead of ordering a new one?Have everything but the gasket,my old one may still be usable,wont know till I take off the cover.My only concern is that some of the liquid may squeeze out into the inside,dont think that would hurt anything since the oil isnt circulated,nothing to clog,but figure I would check with you guys first.Thanks

If the gasket is reasonably new and in decent shape, you can put just a skin of the gasket maker on the side that is exposed assuming that it is stuck to the cover. Don't over do it though, just a thin skin is all that is needed.

we use a permetex #518 aniarobic sealer red in color,the gasket sealer only
seals in the presence of air but between the two mating surface's it stays
liquid and fill gaps up to .005 to .010 and does not shear like silicone.and
works great.....:s

hope this helps!!!

we use a permetex #518 aniarobic sealer red in color,the gasket sealer only
seals in the presence of air but between the two mating surface's it stays
liquid and fill gaps up to .005 to .010 and does not shear like silicone.and
works great.....:s

hope this helps!!!

that #518 is really good stuff. I use Loctite 515 (think thats the number) really good stuff. Flange sealant/gasket eliminator.

Most folks say not to use any of that thick goopy gasket stuff. That stuff kinda went out of style bout 35 yrs ago even though they still sell it. Some folks even say no gasket sealer of any kind at all, just the gasket.

I personally use a thin gasket sealer (it's very thin kinda like contact cement). It holds the gaskets in place while installing and I kinda always felt like it gave an extra bit of seal on old surfaces that might not be totally smooth any more.

I have never just used a liquid gasket by itself, but most of the time, i do apply a thin coat to each sie as Glider mentioned. This technique is particulalry useful in situations where leaks are a real pain to redo. I recently put a new outer primary cover gasket on my Ultra and did this as extra insurance.

It would be nice if somebody started producing a red silicone re-useable gasket for the chain case cover. Aircraft engines have red silicone gaskets available for valve covers that will last for years no matter how many times you pull the covers off.

I have re-used the primary cover gasket a few times, got tired of paying $40 for the gasket every time I checked my compensator. I just clean it off, make sure both sides are dry and clean the primary and cover and button it up again. Never had a leak.

Back