free website stats program Linked Brakes on a Softail | Harley Davidson Forums

Linked Brakes on a Softail

Nick F.

Does anyone know if the new Softail models, specifically the Slim or Breakout, that have ABS ALSO have the Linked Braking System? One dealership told me that all Harley's that have ABS, have linked brakes as well. And he pointed to the Breakout and Slim and said that they do have it. Then another dealership told me that's NOT the case. That ABS and linked brakes are completely separate systems, and is only available on the touring models, not the Softails. I am in a situation where I won't be able to use my right foot to bake. I would like to avoid rerouting the controls if at all possible.

Courtesy Harley-Davidson

All Softails get a revised breaking system and ABS for 2015.

ABS is now standard on all Softail models and optional on the Slim.

The ABS system comes with new front brake components, which include a rigid four-piston fixed front brake caliper, grippier brake pads, a new master cylinder with a higher mechanical ratio, and a new 300mm front brake rotor.

The caliper and master cylinder have been restyled to enhance the looks of each model.

Courtesy Harley-Davidson

All Softails get a revised breaking system and ABS for 2015.

ABS is now standard on all Softail models and optional on the Slim.

The ABS system comes with new front brake components, which include a rigid four-piston fixed front brake caliper, grippier brake pads, a new master cylinder with a higher mechanical ratio, and a new 300mm front brake rotor.

The caliper and master cylinder have been restyled to enhance the looks of each model.

But does this mean that the brakes are now linked? In other words, over the 20-25 mph mark, if you squeeze the front brake lever, it activates the rear brake as well?

All the literature I've read leads me to believe that only the touring models have linked ABS. While the softails do come with ABS, except the Slim, and have been upgraded none of the articles specifically mention a "Linked" system. You may want to look at the touring lineup.

Does anyone know if the new Softail models, specifically the Slim or Breakout, that have ABS ALSO have the Linked Braking System? One dealership told me that all Harley's that have ABS, have linked brakes as well. And he pointed to the Breakout and Slim and said that they do have it. Then another dealership told me that's NOT the case. That ABS and linked brakes are completely separate systems, and is only available on the touring models, not the Softails. I am in a situation where I won't be able to use my right foot to bake. I would like to avoid rerouting the controls if at all possible.

Pretty sure all Softails will come standard with ABS except the Slim but ABS is an option for the Slim. Still not sure if linked but think HDDon is right and the touring models are the only models with linked ABS but not sure. It is amazing that the dealership guys can't provide accurate information on the product they are selling.:rolleyes:

I have to agree dolt that the dealers should be able to make a definitive answer but even the MOCO website is vague on this point. Maybe they (the dealers) need to make a call to Harley so that they can provide the consumer with correct information. The OP needs to pay special attention to Jack's post. As I understand it, the system works with the rear brake actuating the "linked" part of the system, not the front lever.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll do that, go to the dealer that claimed they were linked and have them verify.

I have to agree dolt that the dealers should be able to make a definitive answer but even the MOCO website is vague on this point. Maybe they (the dealers) need to make a call to Harley so that they can provide the consumer with correct information. The OP needs to pay special attention to Jack's post. As I understand it, the system works with the rear brake actuating the "linked" part of the system, not the front lever.

The information is available and, JMHO, there should be someone at a dealership that is knowledgeable about the braking systems. A customer may want ABS but may not be so keen on linked brakes which could affect the decision on which model to purchase.

Linked brakes on the Tourers is electronic linking via the ABS module. Linking can occur in any braking situation above 20-25 mph whether only the front brake, rear brake, or both brakes are applied. Linked Brakes on the Trikes is hydraulic linking with separate (centre) pistons in the front calipers that get fluid from the Rear MC.

I don't believe the softail ABS brakes are linked but not sure.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll do that, go to the dealer that claimed they were linked and have them verify.
I think that's a great idea. Because dealing with Harley dealers the employees will tell you what they think you want to hear just to make a sale.

Back